Drag Radials: Nite And Day Difference?

Here's my experience with drag radials... I make 368rwhp/363rwtq through a high strung n/a 306, so I don't have the tq off the hit like you do.
On the street I could not go to the floor in 1st gear without breaking traction, really had to roll into it easy to stay hooked up and never did get to the rug without tire spin. In second if I rolled the throttle down nice and smooth it would stay hooked up, but, if I stuck the throttle in the carpet it would break loose at about 4500rpm. If I shifted hard into 3rd it would spin the tires hard/long enough to require steering correction, if I I rolled into 3rd for a split second then went to the floor it would stay hooked up. I could hit 4th full on and it would only spin a tiny bit then hook up.
So that's on the street. Much better than regular radials, but not what most make dr's out to be.
At the track, with a T5. I forget my race weight, but, it's something like 3340.
Drag radials were a pain in the butt. I either spun, or bogged if just trying to dump the clutch at various rpm. When the tires spun they did not recover well at all. You need to get fully out of the throttle then get back into it. The bogs as you can imagine were violent (radials do not absorb shock all that well, more in a bit) and when it spun forward motion was slow. It took a real fancy hold rpms while slipping the clutch and rolling the throttle down tap dance that was hard to duplicate and easy to miss. Poor consistency and wasted runs were plenty. My 60' were all over the board, anything from a low 1.8's to 2.1's
So, if this is going to be a track set of tires only...
I ditched the dr's at the track and went back to a bias ply "cheater slick".
Instant success. The bias ply absorbs the shock of the clutch dump making the launches much quicker and less violent at the same time. Even on a poor starting line, when the bias tie would spin, it would still move the car out hard and the tire will recover all on it's own, just stay in the gas and let them gather themselves up. My 60's went from previously stated to low/mid 1.6's. Simply dump the clutch and go.

DR's certainly can be very effective at the track, but it takes a well set up chassis, convertor or slipper clutch (not good on the street) to make them work. For the guys that have the time to test, test and test some more and the finances to make adjustments (springs, shocks, convertors, clutches) to dial it all in, DR's can work really well.
I'm over all that. When I go to the track, I want to air down, heat them up and let it rip.
So, my opinion is leave DR's for street duty and the guys racing competitive classes, for the weekend warrior with a stick car, go bias, either cheater or full slick depending on if you want to drive your car to the track or swap wheels at the track.

Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Now it makes sense,vortech + B springs,3.73's and short sidewall tires. A near perfect recipe for tire spin.

A few years ago when i got my fox,the first thing it needed was a complete suspension overhaul. For the most part i chose wisely....except for the ford B springs. The car was a brick,every bump was back jarring misery and that was with 15'' 60 series tires. The stockish 302,T-5 and 3.73,would spin until the shift in to 3rd. After a few months i could not take it anymore,and got rid of the B springs. Then the car became fun to drive.
What tire and wheel would you recommend? On the street and on the twisty backroads it's fun and does pretty well. I like the b springs actually. I feel they're a decent mix between chuckwagon and Cadillac. They're aren't near as jarring as the Eibach sportlines that were on my '90. Those were horrible, and didn't have any give at all. Maybe it's the difference between the fox and the sn95, maybe not. But at any rate I'd buy the B's again.

I can spin my tires any time I want in first, second and third if I short shift it. Mostly stock with a couple bolt ons, don't drag race thought. Can't keep a straight line.
But they are 15 year old radial ta's, treadwear 1000 traction at 0 they turn asphalt white, never smoke, and make no sound.
They are so hard I don't even have to check the air pressure anymore.
The kids at the bus stop think I've got the baddest car in the neighborhood.

Reactions: 1 user
What tire and wheel would you recommend? On the street and on the twisty backroads it's fun and does pretty well. I like the b springs actually. I feel they're a decent mix between chuckwagon and Cadillac. They're aren't near as jarring as the Eibach sportlines that were on my '90. Those were horrible, and didn't have any give at all. Maybe it's the difference between the fox and the sn95, maybe not. But at any rate I'd buy the B's again.

Read the post by cleanLX,over and over. I just don't see your car ever hooking hard with B springs non adjustable struts/shocks and radials. To put power down,the front has to lift the rear squat and the tire has to absorb the shock.

Reactions: 1 users
Here's my experience with drag radials... I make 368rwhp/363rwtq through a high strung n/a 306, so I don't have the tq off the hit like you do.
On the street I could not go to the floor in 1st gear without breaking traction, really had to roll into it easy to stay hooked up and never did get to the rug without tire spin. In second if I rolled the throttle down nice and smooth it would stay hooked up, but, if I stuck the throttle in the carpet it would break loose at about 4500rpm. If I shifted hard into 3rd it would spin the tires hard/long enough to require steering correction, if I I rolled into 3rd for a split second then went to the floor it would stay hooked up. I could hit 4th full on and it would only spin a tiny bit then hook up.
So that's on the street. Much better than regular radials, but not what most make dr's out to be.
At the track, with a T5. I forget my race weight, but, it's something like 3340.
Drag radials were a pain in the butt. I either spun, or bogged if just trying to dump the clutch at various rpm. When the tires spun they did not recover well at all. You need to get fully out of the throttle then get back into it. The bogs as you can imagine were violent (radials do not absorb shock all that well, more in a bit) and when it spun forward motion was slow. It took a real fancy hold rpms while slipping the clutch and rolling the throttle down tap dance that was hard to duplicate and easy to miss. Poor consistency and wasted runs were plenty. My 60' were all over the board, anything from a low 1.8's to 2.1's
So, if this is going to be a track set of tires only...
I ditched the dr's at the track and went back to a bias ply "cheater slick".
Instant success. The bias ply absorbs the shock of the clutch dump making the launches much quicker and less violent at the same time. Even on a poor starting line, when the bias tie would spin, it would still move the car out hard and the tire will recover all on it's own, just stay in the gas and let them gather themselves up. My 60's went from previously stated to low/mid 1.6's. Simply dump the clutch and go.

DR's certainly can be very effective at the track, but it takes a well set up chassis, convertor or slipper clutch (not good on the street) to make them work. For the guys that have the time to test, test and test some more and the finances to make adjustments (springs, shocks, convertors, clutches) to dial it all in, DR's can work really well.
I'm over all that. When I go to the track, I want to air down, heat them up and let it rip.
So, my opinion is leave DR's for street duty and the guys racing competitive classes, for the weekend warrior with a stick car, go bias, either cheater or full slick depending on if you want to drive your car to the track or swap wheels at the track.
Thank you sir, very informative post. Would you mind sending a link to a "cheater slick" so I have an idea what to look for? If I get a set I'll have to have a driveshaft loop huh?

Mickey Thompson ET Streets. It's not design for DD use at all.

CP6_1678web2-(ZF-10386-84573-1-002).jpg

Joe

Reactions: 3 users
I ran the M&H dot legal bias ply tires when I was running nitrous at track. You can drive them on the street etc but they wear fast and are scary in the rain. Great track tire and are basically slicks with a couple tread grooves cut into them(which do very little in the rain). If you want to keep your suspension I highly recommend a soft tire like those. They will absorb more shock on the hit. Drag radials are a little tricky with a manual transmission. Not nearly as easy as a bias tire. My .02

Reactions: 1 users
I ran the M&H dot legal bias ply tires when I was running nitrous at track. You can drive them on the street etc but they wear fast and are scary in the rain. Great track tire and are basically slicks with a couple tread grooves cut into them(which do very little in the rain). If you want to keep your suspension I highly recommend a soft tire like those. They will absorb more shock on the hit. Drag radials are a little tricky with a manual transmission. Not nearly as easy as a bias tire. My .02

Cheater slick,is something like this. Bias ply gumball, Mickey Thompson and M&H all so make them.
http://www.jegs.com/p/Hoosier/Hoosier-Quick-Time-Pro-DOT-Drag-Tires/746905/10002/-1
Thanks fellas @A5literMan How did the big head trick flow build turn out?

IMG_5605.JPG
You can make radials work . And I recommend that for a primarily used street car . Skimming that 17inch rim....

34xx with me in it .

Reactions: 4 users
i had hoosier radials on it... then a hoosier bias ply... now mickey pro radials...

it will never have anything other than a radial on it

IMG_5605.JPG
You can make radials work . And I recommend that for a primarily used street car . Skimming that 17inch rim....

34xx with me in it .
I'm just looking for a set to put on when I go to the track. I was originally thinking radial so I could put them on a the house, it's only like 10 miles. However, I'm starting to lean towards a slick I think. What would be my cheapest wheel option? Do I want 15" or 16"? Looks aren't all that much of a concern, I'll paint them black if I have to.