Dragstrip Tech Inspection

Touring23

Founding Member
Dec 29, 2001
Washington
I've been to the track a few times. A few years ago at the old Spokane track a pulse and $20 was about all that was required to get on track. OTOH Renegade wouldn't let me run my 17 second Ranger because I didn't have full-length pants. So now I'm studying up on track tech before taking the Mustang out.

Here's my question: What do I need to get on track?

This article says a helmet is required?! :eek: Is this accurate?

What are some things to bring/wear/prep to get on track? I mean, don't worry about icing the intake and all that advanced stuff, let's just get me into the lanes.

Thanks y'all. :flag:

*edit*
My checklist so far:
Driver's License
Full-length pants
Sleeved shirt
Closed-toe shoes
earplugs
Helmet?! :eek:
Refreshing Gatorade for the loose nut on the wheel
Battery secured (mine is stock)
Coolant overflow bottle (mine is stock)
Acceptable tire tread depth
Inspect for leaks
Money

• Sponsors (?)

99% of the tracks follow NHRA guidelines on needing a helmet if your vehicle runs faster than 13.99 seconds. In any case most tracks will have a few helmets they can lend you if you do go that fast.

Overall looks like you have everything needed to race.

WOW we have 1/8 ile tracks down here all that is required is that you have valid ID no hanging body parts. Helmet is required on any run 7.99 or lower.
Never heard of the pants thing. I always have went in the summer with shorts and flip flops.

The helmet requirement is a problem. I Think I'm close to the 13.99 cutoff.

Dang. I dunno. Maybe I'll make the drive anyway.

Oh, hey, BTW, is this in the wrong forum? Sorry, mine's a '94. I forgot there's a "general" forum.

Wow you guys have REALLY lenient tracks! At Englistown, Atco, and Island Dragway, the 3 tracks I race at you have to have pants, close-toed shoes, sleeved shirt, and every car that goes down the track regardless of time, the driver must wear a DOT 2 helmet. I can't believe some of you can race in shorts, flip-flops, and no helmet...thats crazy, even if I was allowed, I'd prob still wear a helmet and closed toed shoes, although I'd probably wear shorts though.

My track goes by the NHRA rules, we only need a helmet if your 13.99 or lower, you need to wear pants and shoes. All other safety requirements fall into place depending upon what times you are running...IE..cage...Drive shaft loop..exc exc

Wow you guys have REALLY lenient tracks! At Englistown, Atco, and Island Dragway, the 3 tracks I race at you have to have pants, close-toed shoes, sleeved shirt, and every car that goes down the track regardless of time, the driver must wear a DOT 2 helmet. I can't believe some of you can race in shorts, flip-flops, and no helmet...thats crazy, even if I was allowed, I'd prob still wear a helmet and closed toed shoes, although I'd probably wear shorts though.

This is what Epping, NH is like.

Don't forget to bring patience when some donkey blows a radiator house and it takes 2 of the 3 test and tune hours you paid for to clean it up.

You also should bring some ice for the intake (wrap the ice in a cloth towl, not plastic, as plastic will melt to the manifold, don't ask me how I know that).

Adam

This is what Epping, NH is like.

Don't forget to bring patience when some donkey blows a radiator house and it takes 2 of the 3 test and tune hours you paid for to clean it up.

You also should bring some ice for the intake (wrap the ice in a cloth towl, not plastic, as plastic will melt to the manifold, don't ask me how I know that).

Adam

Epping does not make you wear a helmet if your running 14.0 or above.

Make sure the brain bucket is the correct SNELL rating...I may be wrong but IIRC SNELL2000 will be illegal at the end of this year and SNELL2003? or is it 5? will be good for a few more years. I would doube check as the SNELL2000 may already be illegal since its been a while since I checked.

13.99 or faster needs a helmet I think 14.9 or faster if your in a vert.

Any non-factory poweradder or n2o car needs at least a single layer fire jacket (B.S. BTW that 03 cobras, SRT4's, and other factory boosted cars are exempt).

Also check the track and make sure they dont have some kind of special tire night. Our local track GIR has 2 T&T break outs. Street tire night for street tires, DR, and DOT tires. Slick night for DR, DOT slicks (ET street type tires), and full slick tires. If you show up with slicks on street tire night...no run, if you show up with regular street tires on slick night....no run.

Sheet thats what I hate about having a vert. but I figured I would start looking into requirements since I might hit up the track , friend got a z28 and wants to race lol+ for some reason my car feels like it could go low 14's