drivers side power window shot

tommy_1812

Dec 21, 2005
Kerrville, TX
My window will not go down or up. No clicking noise, no grinding noise, nothing. I've ruled out a bad gear or motor. Switches are good. The power lock works just fine. I just purchased a new module (part where all the wires connect to the switches).

Is there a possibility the wiring is bad on the current module, thus not allowing power to go to the motor? I am not too familiar with power window parts, but I hope getting the new module would work.

Anyone else have a completely dead drivers side power window? If so, what went wrong and what part was replaced? I hate driving all the time with the window up. Having to open the door and get out at the bank or to order a friggen burger is annoying.

• Sponsors (?)

I had an 89 town car (same hardware) and each of the 4 doors had its own unique window problem...so at least your not in that situation.

anyways...I think you're right that if it was the motor going out there is always some warning. I'd check all the wiring, the fuses (just in case), and the motor by itself, and then worst case replace the module. You can always try making the motor spin just by itself to make sure its not that dying....just be very careful removing it since the internal brushes can easily pop of the unit, and also your dealing with all 12 volts of your battery...

good luck.

Anyone else can with window problems...

I took my car to a guy who installs stereos. He is an electronic and wiring genius. While watching him, I saw him effortlessly pull out an old alarm module from the early 90's. It wasn't working, so it was useless to have, plus no more wire clutter by the pedals. He re-crimped several wires, which fixed a lot of my interior light dimming problems, and radio cutting on and off. It actually seems like a huge improvement, even the cruise control works now.

On the power window issue, there is a pink wire that supplys power to the switch module. It was not even connected to the power source under the steering column (NOT the ignition wire cluster), but a set of wires closer to the door (where no power was going to the motor or switches). After cutting another wire under the steering column (a black one I think), re-crimping it, my drivers side window went down just fine! The module now controls both passenger and drivers side windows.

If anyone else has an issue with a dead window, and the power window motor isn't making any noise, it is most likely a bad wiring with the pink wire. He also made it into an individual fuse controlled power supply. So the fuse will go if this wiring is bad. So far no problems, and the drivers side window goes up really fast (less than 2 seconds and it's closed).

tommy_1812 said:
If anyone else has an issue with a dead window, and the power window motor isn't making any noise, it is most likely a bad wiring with the pink wire.
Not true. It may have been the fix in your case, but whether or not a motor makes noise is not the determinating factor. Many window motors have failed and they don't make a sound. What I like to do is watch the voltmeter on the dash while pressing the switch. If the voltage drops slightly, you know everything (wiring, switches) up to the motor is good. In your case, if you were watching the voltmeter, it would not have budged.