Droptop question

GusinCA

Founding Member
Sep 5, 2002
Newport Beach
So on the 2008 Mustang, you can only operate the top if the car is moving less than about 3-4 mph.
In the previous car, you could operate it as long as the parking brake light was on (say, one click on the handle).

I want to know, is there any way to disable this in the 2008 model to allow me to determine when to operate the top?

Here's the reason:

You're waiting at a light, you decide to open the top, and when the top is halfway down the light turns green. If you drive away the top will stop right there, even though there would be no wind damage from dropping it all the way at speeds less than 10-12mph. Of course I understand that when the top is up more than a foot or two anything more than 10mph might damage it, so I see why they put that feature in, it's just annoying to me and has caught me twice at a light where I had to block my traffic lane for 5 seconds or so to wait for the top to finish moving.

My guess is there is no way to change this, since pushing the roof button lowers the windows and the top doesn't actually begin moving until the rear windows are down all the way, leading me to believe this is all buried in the computer system somehow. But I could be wrong? Maybe a speed sensor wire or something can be removed?

Also, the Nav functions won't allow you to enter anything once the car goes above 3-4 mph as well, so I assume this is all tied together...

But there's much smarter people on this board than me... :)

• Sponsors (?)

I'm afraid I have no answer to your question but I would think there are many interdependencies and other things might go wrong even if you just disable one function. Then there's the Murphy's law of driving. If you want to put the top down, change CD, or even take off your coat, you will always have green lights. I usually wait for a fresh red. Sometimes I gamble. Mid red, gee how much longer is the light going to remain red? I've timed my top and it takes 12 or 15 seconds. :D

Yeah, I think you're right, the newer model is run by it's computer, down to the operation of the top motor, so there's probably no changing it without reprogramming it somehow.
But I do the same thing, if I'm at a fresh red, I go for it, if I'm not sure, I wait.
It's a good problem to have, wondering if you can put the top down in time on your 300hp convertible in Southern California... :)