Drum self adjuster falling off

Two things I notice from the pics are the adjuster on the right side shows no threads, that would be correct, and I don't see the funny looking washer (shoe guide?) that sits on the pin holding the shoes, this is not the issue at hand, first spin that adjuster on the left side in so it shows no threads, not tight though. Then install that washer shoe keeper thing on the right side. The problem is right in front of us just can't see it yet. It's simple things that escape us.

• Sponsors (?)

Two things I notice from the pics are the adjuster on the right side shows no threads, that would be correct, and I don't see the funny looking washer (shoe guide?) that sits on the pin holding the shoes, this is not the issue at hand, first spin that adjuster on the left side in so it shows no threads, not tight though. Then install that washer shoe keeper thing on the right side. The problem is right in front of us just can't see it yet. It's simple things that escape us.

I didn't even notice that, wow, thanks for helping , I'm gonna go out to the garage in a bit and do this

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
So I just went out and brought the adjuster screw in and the bracket still doesn't hit the star screw , it has about 1/8in of play I'll post pics of what it looks like when I pry up on the braided line attached to the bracket. When I pull it up it clicks into place but once I relieve the pressure it pops off of the screw and allows it to spin freely.

Attachments

• 20180404_104918.jpg
    20180404_104918.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 122
  • 20180404_104942.jpg
    20180404_104942.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 121
  • 20180404_105031.jpg
    20180404_105031.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 127
  • 20180404_105016.jpg
    20180404_105016.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 130
  • 20180404_105036.jpg
    20180404_105036.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 134
The green spring goes with the short brake shoe.
The short shoe is supposed to be pointing towards the front of the car.

check to make sure your e brake is comepletely off and the e brake cable is not stuck, also make sure the adjuster cables are the same length and the adjusters [the thing the cable and spring hook to] are the same.

check to make sure your e brake is comepletely off and the e brake cable is not stuck, also make sure the adjuster cables are the same length and the adjusters [the thing the cable and spring hook to] are the same.

I had my wife pull the ebrake handle slowly while I was watching , and it only pushes the front shoe forward and had no effect on the adjustment of the bracket touching the star adjuster. This is starting to frustrate me lol

One question: which side of the car are we looking at - passenger or driver side?

It appears that you have the brake springs, the cable and anchor pin washer assembled in the wrong order. That's why you have extra slack in the cable. The hole in the self adjuster cable end is precisely sized so that it fits on the shoe anchor pin with no slack. It is the first thing you put on once the shoes are in place.

If you look closely at the drawing you'll see that the self adjuster comes from under the anchor pin washer

The proper order is:
1. self adjuster cable is first next to the shoes
2. The anchor pin washer goes on top of the self adjuster cable.
3. The white spring hook is next.
4. Then last of all, the green spring hook.

When it is properly assembled, the self adjuster assembly requires some extra effort to get the self adjuster cable hook into position.

Last edited:
One question: which side of the car are we looking at - passenger or driver side?

It appears that you have the brake springs, the cable and anchor pin washer assembled in the wrong order. That's why you have extra slack in the cable.

If you look closely at the drawing you'll see that the self adjuster comes from under the anchor pin washer

The proper order is:
1. self adjuster cable is first next to the shoes
2. The anchor pin washer goes on top of the self adjuster cable.
3. The white spring hook is next.
4. Then last of all, the green spring hook.

When it is properly assembled, the self adjuster assembly requires some extra effort to get the self adjuster cable hook into position.

The batch of pics from last night around 11pm was of the pass side, the pics from this morning are of the driver side. I didn't notice that the end of the adjustment cord was behind the washer. I wonder how that's gonna take up that extra slack, but ill try it once I get home from work tonight and keep you guys posted.

Got everything in, hopefully the right way ,took her up and down the road with no issues, gonna go for a longer test drive in the morning

Attachments

• 20180405_190212.jpg
    20180405_190212.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 156
  • 20180405_190237.jpg
    20180405_190237.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 139
  • 20180405_190226.jpg
    20180405_190226.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 119
  • 20180405_190246.jpg
    20180405_190246.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
took her out today, and the brakes didnt fall apart! love it, time for performance, radiator, sub frame connectors, headers, h pipe cat back

• Useful
Mine broke again also. 1st time it broke was'nt my mechanical skills for sure. I then did a full brake rebuild. And it broke again after a few weeks. Fixing it tomorrow. Hoping i can figure out what makes it break. I think it is the same side again also. I do slam on the brakes in mid drift sometimes to do maneuvers i need to do.

I was trying to use handbrake also like a drifter uses a hydro E brake, but it didnt work so didnt keep on trying it. And didnt break when i did that.

Also, my drums were stuck on. Had to Hit them as hard as possible with brass punch and BFH to get em loose. Ridiculous. WTF? lol. Which is why i did'nt fix it right after it broke, but it started leaking today so i tore into it.