dss racing.

88stangmangt

Nov 25, 2003
Stafford,VA
just got my 5.0 Main support/windage tray today and i have to say i am blown away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it is very nice quality finish you name it. 3/4 inch thick plus the windage tray makes it about a inch or more. any one who is thinking about it dont think twice! i picked this over trickflows 1/2 inch steel model. i feel that my engine will now take 600 to the crank with this set-up. :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

Because using aluminum to do a steel job is never a good idea. 1/2" steel is stronger and less flexible than 3/4" aluminum is. It's still way stronger than stock, but for the beating that NMRA cars dish out I'll put my money on a steel main support system every time.

ya i will take some pics i n a few it is CNC machined so it is buitefull the car will see some drag time but mostly street. they say it will take 680 hp and im sure they have track duty to back it up.dad said he had a 289 HIPO that was bored with all the trimings 2-bolt main never brock the block but twisted the frame so much it was trash when it came down.So i am takeing more precaution so im not worried.

I can see how a steel main support would make more sence, but what about forged aluminum, wouldn't that in 3/4ths be as strong as steel in 1/2" unless of course the steel is forged. I guess what I am getting at is that I think that your better off with a little extra weight and more strength.

DSS seems to be one of the better engine rebuilding companies. I am sure better than Jasper, Recon, ect. I work in a shop, and know that these companies are usually junk. If you want the job done right, you better do it yourself. If you had ever been inside a parts rebuiling factory, you would see what I mean. I am not saying DSS is like this, but I'm not saying it isn't, because I don't know.

Aluminum is still aluminum when you get down to it. Foraging is a great thing but it will never be as strong as steel. With Aluminum you also have to think about expansion rates since aluminum expands a lot more than steel at the same temp so consider that when you are building the bottom end. Not only will it expand more top to bottom but it will expand to the sides. Think of it putting pressure on your studs and mains from the front to the rear of the engine. I have never heard of anybody having a problem with it but just my thoughts. Lighter will be better but aluminum is not that durable of a metal to begin with. It is all a compromise.
Kevin

I use Probe Industries' Chrome-moly Steel Girdle on my 408 Stroker Windsor. I was quite impressed with it as it was clearenced for the longer stroke of my engine and it fit without having to modify much of anything. There was some minor grinding of the HV Oil Pump on the side but that was it. (This is common with most girdle's) Otherwise it fit excellent when combined with my Milodon 7 Qt. Pan and Pick Up. As for the windage tray, I made my own using Moroso's Universal Windage Screen and fastened it down to the girdle after I had trimmed it to the girdle's size. Overall I recomend the Probe piece to anyone, they currently have a 3/8" Crome-Moly Piece available as well as a 1/2" Billet Steel one.

90mustangGT said:
I can see how a steel main support would make more sence, but what about forged aluminum, wouldn't that in 3/4ths be as strong as steel in 1/2" unless of course the steel is forged. I guess what I am getting at is that I think that your better off with a little extra weight and more strength.

DSS seems to be one of the better engine rebuilding companies. I am sure better than Jasper, Recon, ect. I work in a shop, and know that these companies are usually junk. If you want the job done right, you better do it yourself. If you had ever been inside a parts rebuiling factory, you would see what I mean. I am not saying DSS is like this, but I'm not saying it isn't, because I don't know.

I wouldn't say Recon was junk. I have a Recon 302 in my 87. It's a great motor. We sell many Recon engines through Advance, and I have yet to see one come back. :nice:

I wasn't saying they are junk, but I doubt they are that great either. I bet if you built an engine by hand all to specs I bet it would be better. A guy at my work put a Recon in K5 Blazer, the rings only lasted about a year. Working in a shop, I have learned to hate "remanufactured" parts.

The Shape said:
Off topic , but cardudeusa what does the recon longblock go for? I am trying to help a friend track down a good reliable motor for his GT. It is just his daily driver no track duty or anything.
It was $999 with the core turned in. The core was $300 I think. I got my discount on it and it came to right around $800.

90mustangGT-You're right, rebuilt stuff, is still only rebuilt. The crank is turned 10/10 and the block and heads are remaned. Everything else is new. The reason I went recon was 1) My discount 2) This is going to be my girlfriends car and she wont rag it out (I hope). We will see how long this motor holds up hopefully well over 100,000+.

I like the DSS girdles and have never had an isssue with anthing, fit is great and you don't need to mill the caps to make them fit. I don't like their motors however, but that a different story.....

Most of the NMRA guys making that kind of power use 4 bolts blocks....