Dyno Charts Rock! Almost stock GT!

lietuvis91

Aug 4, 2004
NO, LA
hey ya'll, so they had this dyno at the track & for $30 I got 3 runs, CHEAP! My 95 GT has an o/r h & mac headers as far as I know, so basicaly stock. Me and a friend decided to unbolt the exhaust from the h pipe to relieve some back pressure to increase hp & took out the air filter for this dyno. THe best run was 180 hp around 4100 rpm and 230tq around 3600rpm. I think we would have done better w/ the exhaust bolted up but too late now. I realize now looking at this chart that I should shift gears at about 4900rpm on this thing which is way sooner than I was doing at first. No wonder I lost to a 01 celica gts, i was switching at around 5500rpm where at my car seems to be pretty dead. Dyno charts ROCK!

... what do you guys think overall though, is this about right for HP and TQ?

Attachments

• 95GT302StangSTOCK-dyno003 (Small).jpg
    95GT302StangSTOCK-dyno003 (Small).jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 233
  • Sponsors (?)

MadHandle8169 said:
Ummm...That seems pretty low even for a near stock GT. Maybe for an AODE but for a manual those are pretty bad numbers. Most people dyno in the 190s stock that I have seen. Was it a mustang dyno or a regular dyno???

180hp is supposedly at the wheels, this was supposed to be one of the most accurate best dyno's in the country, but besides what's on the dyno sheet i don't know much else about it.

How do you "drive" on a dyno.. never even seen one in person.. noob question perhaps but.. that's what this site's for? do you just mount up and rip through the gears or what?

Basically it is just like driving, you start in 1st and gradually bring your car up to speed untill your reach forth (manual tranny), let it come down to idle, then just punch it and let the RPM's climb. The drums turn with resistance just like normal driving, they're not free spinning by any means.

i dont see what the big deal is, some cars will put better numbers than others, not all 5.0's put down 190 at the wheels like Ford rated us. It depends on how its been maintained, how its been driven...yada yada yada...i'd be happy if i put down 180 at the wheels, i've heard of stock 5.0's with only 40K on the clock only putting down 145 at the wheels...

145 is ugly at the wheels matthiasj...

With an uncorked exhaust you should have seen a little more hp however I think the torque is about on with it uncorked. Have yo done a compression test? Might be aging a bit in that department. What was your air fuel? I know someone will be asking that eventually. I'm going to throw out a guess and say 12.7 is good... your FPR could be on the fritz... or a fuel pump.. maybe the plugs aren't gapped properly, theres a ton of reasons why the car isn't running to top form. But you're about 10 -15 off the norm I would think. Look at those easy things and you'll prolly pick up a few ponies here and there.. Also don't forget to check your air filter...

They have never been officially rated by Ford "at the wheels"...and I have never heard of even the worst conditioned 5.0L dyno 145hp at the wheel...but that isn't impossible.

It really depends on the current overall tune of the car...air temp/humidity/pressure/etc...

I don't see those numbers as "off" by any means...

so none of you think that the numbers may be low becasue of NO AIR FILTER WHATSOEVER and open exhaust. I think that running it open passed the h pipe w/o any mufflers could be the reason for less power, esp. the torque for sure. I drove it around like this for a while, and while it sounded damn nice, the engine reved easier but felt weaker, didn't pull as hard.
...I'm just surprised no one is commenting about that...

btw: engine's got 52k miles on it, and brand new autolites gapped at 54 to 56 i think. new msd cap & rotor and msd sprak plug wires. I do have one little issue that could have something to do w/ power, i posted about that on the 5.0tech boards.

I think something is definitely off. Did anyone look at the dyno graph? Those are the wierdest looking curves that I have seen. They look like bubbles, completely rounded over. Nothing like any other dyno curve I have seen before.

Maybe you got a bad pass, or the dyno is crap. Ya, ya, ya they claim it's one of the most accurate. Bla, bla, bla. What would you say if you were trying to sell dyno pulls at a track day? That particular one could be toast.

Did you look at anyone else's dyno chart that day? Did their's look equally bizzare?

4,900 as a shift point sounds REALLY wrong.