Dyno results with Comp Cams thanks to SCT

Kurgan

Founding Member
Jan 31, 2001
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
I must say, I'm impressed. I spent the weekend a couple of weeks ago before Thanksgiving installing a pair of Comp Cams XE270AH. I did the little bit of tuning with my SCT chip that I could to get the car to idle properly. I took the car down to Razor's Edge in Margate where we dyno-tuned my car on their Mustang Dyno. Keith, their engine builder/tuner, who I know from some mutual friends, had invited me to go down there to do some tuning earlier in the week while I was at the track. We made a baseline run to get my HP/torque numbers before doing any tuning, and after making about 4-5 pulls, we found a little more HP and torque.

These cams are without a doubt the best go-fast mod I've done to my car yet.

My previous best dyno on a Dynojet was 261.4 rwhp and 306.5 rwtq, while my previous best on a Mustang Dyno (this was before I put on my long tube headers) was 240 rwhp and 290 rwtq.

And the results.. on stock unported PI heads, stock unported upper and lower PI intake along with long tube headers, o/r X, underdrive pulleys, and Flowmasters. (I have many others mods, but these are the power producing mods - see my sig for a link to a full list of my mods)..

Keep in mind, this is on a Mustang Dyno..

278.7 rwhp and 313.8 rwtq baseline with the cams
282.5 rwhp and 321.9 rwtq after our tuning

razedge3-comparisongraph.jpg

(a better graph can be viewed here - http://www.tchracing.com/kurgan/dynosheets/razedge3-finaltune-fullgraph.jpg)

I also wanted to start this thread to give some props to Jerry, Dave, Chris, and the rest of the crew for their work on the new SuperChips Custom Tuning package. I bought my SCT Pro Racer package a little over a month ago so that I could fine tune some things with my car, and get some other benefits like raising my speed/rev limiters and disable my traction control. It really ended up being a life saver when tuning my car after installing these cams. I knew NOTHING about tuning before I bought my SCT. As of now, I've already dug into fuel tables, spark tables, idle settings, rev/speed limiters, disabling EGR, disabling traction control, changing the radiator fan settings, and much more. It's a really great application, includes some great documentation, and from what I've heard from the guys at SCT, it's only going to get better and easier. I'm already in love with the fact that I have full control of the tuning of my own vehicle. No more shipping a chip out to be retuned or taking it to a tuner and paying a fee (if any) to re-tune the car. I can do it in the comfort of my own home. And the results show on the track: 12.762 @ 106.88 before the cams and tune, 12.445 @ 108.38 after the cams, and on my first time out with the new tune, I bested that with a 12.438 @ 108.74. It may not be much right now, but I have no doubt my ETs the next time I hit the track will be even better.

Here's a little testament to how good the tune that the chip is shipped with (yes, when you order, you supply the list of mods and they build a base tune for you to use). The funniest part of tuning the car with the cams was when Keith and I tried to change the A/F in the high RPM's under full load at WOT (0.8/0.9). The settings that SCT put in the fuel tables were perfect. We tried to tune the car a little leaner and it lost power on the dyno, and we went a little richer and again it lost power on the dyno. We ended up right back at the settings that SCT had shipped the chip with. Talk about a tune that's pretty much right on the money without having even put their hands on the car or having dyno-tuned it! My tuner was impressed, and so was I.

Hats off to you guys.

• Sponsors (?)

how many chips does the SCT kit come with? i have been looking into it for a week or so after i read bill's write-up on it. i want a chip for n/a and nitrous so i can pull out timing and adjust everything. it would be nice to be able to make my own chips. thanks

awesome gains, i'm impressed! :nice:

It's a single 4-bank chip right now. It only holds one program at a time. To use two programs with one chip, you would have to pull off the chip, load up your other program on your PC, burn the chip, and then reinstall it. The other option would be to buy an additional chip, which would be at an additional charge obviously. Then you could have one labeled "N/A" and one labeled "Nitrous" and just interchange them between runs.

I've heard some rumors of the SCT end user software eventually evolving to not require a chip to be plugged into the diagnostic port of the PCM to re-tune the car. I can't really speculate too much, but I would assume that to mean that you could retune your stock computer from a laptop computer.

Kurgan said:
It's a single 4-bank chip right now. It only holds one program at a time. To use two programs with one chip, you would have to pull off the chip, load up your other program on your PC, burn the chip, and then reinstall it. The other option would be to buy an additional chip, which would be at an additional charge obviously. Then you could have one labeled "N/A" and one labeled "Nitrous" and just interchange them between runs.

I've heard some rumors of the SCT end user software eventually evolving to not require a chip to be plugged into the diagnostic port of the PCM to re-tune the car. I can't really speculate too much, but I would assume that to mean that you could retune your stock computer from a laptop computer.

sounds good, thanks. :nice:

My experience pretty well backs up yours. On a dynojet when bone stock except for 3.73 gears I put down 224/256. Now I've got the XE270 cams, bbk longtubes/H-pipe, Mac prodump mufflers, and a Densecharger intake tube with a drop in K&N in the stock airbox. It put down 265/282 with no tuning done at all. I can't wait to get a tune done now. Thanks for sharing your success.

Never installed a cam on a pushrod. The install of the SOHC camshafts isn't so bad. The shafts themselves are easy to install once you have the valve covers and timing cover off. It's changing out the valve springs with the heads still on the motor that takes a lot of time, work, and frustration.

Old thread, but it looks like the 1/4 traps are right inline with mine :shrug: . Now hes doing 110, but he is right @ sea lv...easily can go - D.A. I think his is a touch quicker, but I do only have stg 1s. Guess im doing pretty good fro what I have. And I never seen this thread, but probably because I wasnt even into the new stangs at the time LOL.

Kurt2002 said:
is comp cams still having PTV clearance issues withthe 270 cams?
No, the issue with the base circles has been cleared. Now the issue is with people who install the cams, arent degreeing them in correctly. With that much duration, you can be a few degrees off and put a valve into a Piston.

nickthegenius said:
I'm really starting to second-guess my decision to go with the XE262AH cams :(

Not me. I might be wrong but I think the benefits of the 270s show up after 6000 and there might be some losses below 4000. I'm willing to trade off gains at 6500 -- an RPM my engine will never see -- to maintain torque below 4K.

But that's just me :D