Ebay CAI

• Sponsors (?)

I always wondered how something that allows the engine to breathe hot, underhood air could possibly be called a "cold air intake". I've seen several tests proving they don't work and actually reduce power, yet still people buy them. I'd shop ebay for a used stocker if I were you.

Thanks, I'll try my local junk yard.
I can see why an under hood CAI would be less effective but the fender well intake should perform as well, if not better, than the stock intake and it looks better.

but the fender well intake should perform as well, if not better, than the stock intake and it looks better.

That's the common misconception right there.

There are plenty of other areas of restriction that are tighter than the intake box....ie throttle body, heads, MAF, intake, etc.

If you had a modified 347 with a very free flowing intake setup, a modified intake tube setup would be necessary.

But on a stock 5.0...the intake box is the least of your concerns at this point.

This is an Ebay cold air kit. It was cheaper to buy the red hose CAI on Ebay then buy individually at the time. I think I paid $59 plus shipping. It has the fender bend portion but I chucked that. I just want the color hoses and chrome pipe.

This is a 347 Stroker motor.

Motor12-29-05.jpg

Attachments

• Motor12-29-05.jpg
    Motor12-29-05.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 88
Even without the snorkel hose and front scoop the March is still a cold air intake. Why are you removing it?

Your right. Call me crazy but it sounds and feels like the March is restricting air flow. I have not checked to see if the filter is dirty as a possible culprit.
The reason for removing is because it looks cheap. I realize a CAI will net very modest hp gains, but eventually over time I would like to dress up the engine bay.
At this point in time my only performance additions are the CAI and cat back exhaust.