edelbrock rpm II or GT40 intake on modded 302??HELP!!!

91notch5.0

Founding Member
Apr 15, 2001
warren mi
i have been told that my tubular gt40 is holding me back from making the power i should. i just got a rpm II but i am hesitant to change. should i change??

car currently has 280hp and 325tq at the wheels which seems odd to me.:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

i have been told that my tubular gt40 is holding me back from making the power i should. i just got a rpm II but i am hesitant to change. should i change??

car currently has 280hp and 325tq at the wheels which seems odd to me.:shrug:

Really depends on what your dyno map looks like.

Can you post it up?

I don't think it's your intake holding you back, but, your numbers are about what I'd expect with that combo. You've got 300 or a little more horse at the crank. What do you think you should see?

I agree porting the gt40 lower would help. I don't think the rpm intake would hurt your numbers, and it might help a little bit, but you'd suffer some on the bottom end and hurt streetability. It's not all about the big number, you want a nice high average hp over the length of your gears.

:bang:i expected 300hp and 300tq at the tires. 280hp and 325tq just seems just wrong to me. i definitely don't want to lose tq.......i just think 20 more hp wouldn't hurt.

with the 15% rule i make 322 hp and 374tq at the flywheel.

i may be chasing the #. the car is super fun, i just want to make the most of my combo and reach my goal of 12.5 with a n/a 302. driving better wouldn't hurt though either!

THANKS GUYS........................................:nice:

I agree that porting the gt lower would give you better all around street results. But throwing that RPM II on there would most definitely drop your ET's. Like the others have said, the RPM II will cost you some noticeable low end tq, but you will probably pick up 15rwhp on the top end.

lol, dude you're running stock heads!! Ported or not, those are some badass numbers.

my buddy runs afr 165's through FULL SMOG, with a custom cam and a heavily ported explorer intake, and pegs around 280 at the wheels.

be very, very happy with those numbers

The rpm II is probably the wrong intake for your setup. Its good for supercharged and strokers, not mild h/c/i setups.

It may make you a couple horses up top, but in all likelyhood you will lose average hp with it.

Stick with the gt40, or maybe the rpm intake.

You want a few more ponies, get a bigger/better mass air meter.

And while you are pulling the GT40 intake and gasket matching it... if you advance that TFS1 camshaft.. you will gain more torque and HP!! You would be amazed on a 4* advance and the increases... just a thought!!

Just me........................

Thumper