EEC Codes Question (Possible TPS Sensor??)

Cyiberwulf

Jun 18, 2004
Pt. Neches, TX
I finally broke down and pulled the codes off my stang and got these codes:

158 - MAF is/was high output
172 - System is or was lean - Single, Right or Rear HO2S :damnit:

628 - Excessive converter clutch slippage

I was able to reset/fix the MAF problem by cleaning the MAF with that elec cleaner you can get at AutoZone and the 172 code is probabily the O2 sensor going/went bad, but my question is what is the clutch slippage??

I was reading on another forum :rolleyes: that if the output of the engine does not match the TPS input of the engine, it could throw this code. Would that mean the TPS sensor is going or is bad? Anyone have one as a spare I could put in to correct this problem?? :hail2: :worship: Or am I W A Y off in reading into this? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

EEC code 628

Cyiberwulf said:
I finally broke down and pulled the codes off my stang and got these codes:

158 - MAF is/was high output
172 - System is or was lean - Single, Right or Rear HO2S :damnit:

628 - Excessive converter clutch slippage

I was able to reset/fix the MAF problem by cleaning the MAF with that elec cleaner you can get at AutoZone and the 172 code is probabily the O2 sensor going/went bad, but my question is what is the clutch slippage??

I was reading on another forum :rolleyes: that if the output of the engine does not match the TPS input of the engine, it could throw this code. Would that mean the TPS sensor is going or is bad? Anyone have one as a spare I could put in to correct this problem?? :hail2: :worship: Or am I W A Y off in reading into this? :shrug:

You didn't say what mods your car has but if you replaced the AODe with the wide ratio gears or a 4R70W that's the code you get. Also if your converter is slipping and not locking up, the output shaft has a sensor that measures its speed vs what the EEC expects and if its higher than expected it believes the converter to be slipping and will set that code. Try flushing KAM, drive the car for about 20 min in town and on freeway. If you get the code again, your converter is slipping or the EEC settings or off if you swapped out the gears for a wide ratio set. Seems odd but the .67 (stock OD) vs .70 (wide ration OD) gear diff is all that is needed for the EEC to set this code...
Wayne

158 means your MAF is probably dead. Try cleaning it, but after you reset the codes, and if 158 comes back, you will need a new MAF.

The 172 could be from your MAF being out of whack. Or your right O2 sensor could be bad also. I am surprised to see that the left side didn't register a O2 fault.

So, either MAF or O2 is bad. Can't really tell from the codes you have.

Try clearing the codes, and driving the car for 20 minutes. See what happens. It might clear up any faulty codes.
Scott