Efi......Intake Spacer or no spacer??

Ive heard the the 1 inch spacers for the gt-40/97 Explorer intake manifold increace tourqe from the longer runners and move the fuel away from the heat to make more power.Is there any truth or dyno numbers to back this up?I have a 97 explorer intake from ebay.......spacer or no spacer?

• Sponsors (?)

First and foremost, the spacer cannot keep the upper intake cooler if the EGR and TB coolant "warmer" is still functional. If both have been disabled, bypassed, etc, fine.

Second, it will not keep the fuel itself cooler. Everything fuel related happens below the spacer near the cylinder head. The air it gets injected into might be a little less hot, but that's still less hot and not usually "cool."

I really wouldn't bother with one unless you need clearance for big valve covers or are always removing them. The intake runners are also already at least 18" long, so another 1" isn't going to yield impressive(or even noticeable) butt-dyno results. Think along the lines of power and torque gains/losses you can count on one hand with fingers to spare.

First and foremost, the spacer cannot keep the upper intake cooler if the EGR and TB coolant "warmer" is still functional. If both have been disabled, bypassed, etc, fine.

Second, it will not keep the fuel itself cooler. Everything fuel related happens below the spacer near the cylinder head. The air it gets injected into might be a little less hot, but that's still less hot and not usually "cool."

I really wouldn't bother with one unless you need clearance for big valve covers or are always removing them. The intake runners are also already at least 18" long, so another 1" isn't going to yield impressive(or even noticeable) butt-dyno results. Think along the lines of power and torque gains/losses you can count on one hand with fingers to spare.
Us explorer guys are using them with great success, and I can show you a track time to back up the benefit.

Also--I have my external egr tube connected-and I do have my coolant lines bypassed, I can rest my weight on my upper when the truck is warm--

Have you tried one-or are you just guessing?

Also--I have my external egr tube connected-and I do have my coolant lines bypassed, I can rest my weight on my upper when the truck is warm--

Have you tried one-or are you just guessing?

I'm not guessing, but you're making assumptions; assumptions that everyone here has an Explorer engine with the external EGR. Your EGR system doesn't run right through the middle of the intake like a 5.0 HO.

i have a 97 Explorer upper and am ordering a TMOSS ported lower,any ideas of how much a lower with and without core costs?His website olnly had prices on the upper and lower together?Any way i think im going with a BBK 65 T-body and a 1'' spacer,if it dosent clear the hood(im screwed).All i would need is headers/pullies and after alot of saving later on add Heads!

This intake upper/lower/bbk t-body and headers gotta be good for some good kick in the butt power huh?

Im looking at a 1/2'' or 1'' spacer?I want the 1'' spacer but will it fit under stock hood?I might take the chance.

On my 90 5.0 with the Ford racing GT-40 (not the Explorer) with the 1" spacer it will not clear the stock hood. I changed to the Ford Racing tall valve covers and the 1" spacer was required to clear. I can say that after adding the spacer I thought I felt a little difference. But the car was down for a couple weeks during the swap. So it may just have been that driving a Focus while it was down just made it seem faster :D

Whats funny is that i asked this same question about three weeks ago for use with the same manifold. Everyone told me not to waste my time or money. I was under the impression after that thread that they werent worth it. And they will not clear the stock hood with a 1" spacer. good luck man

Im not sure why you would want to use one on a stock or explorer/cobra type intake anyway. Its a low RPM torque intake as it is. I would use one only to clear tall valve covers or to try and make up some lost torque from an over zealous intake choice.

I am using a 3/8 spacer on my typhoon soley for the purpose of clearing my valve covers.

I'm not guessing, but you're making assumptions; assumptions that everyone here has an Explorer engine with the external EGR. Your EGR system doesn't run right through the middle of the intake like a 5.0 HO.

I made no assumption-he's using an explorer intake--

But hey--
Boy, all this heat over an intake spacer-but when a guy asks a real good question where are the experts then?
We all have opinions--but I could sure use some facts in my question thread--
http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?p=7126096#post7126096

Sorry for the hijack humboldt---

There should not be any noticeable difference by adding a spacer to the throttle body, as you are only affecting the volume in the "accumulator" area of the intake (down stream the TB but upstream the runners). If you were adding an inch spacer to where the lower and upper intake bolt up, then you would see a difference as this would affect the resonance in the intake runner – longer runners will lower the frequency of resonance, thus you will see an increase in power at lower RPMs but a loss in power at upper RPMs.

That is what he's talking about. He is speaking of the phenolic spacers that go between the Upper and Lower manifolds. They generally come in 1/2" or 1" sizes. And technically they should give you an increase in low end torque...but the argument is how effective are they?

ninety15.0
That is what he's talking about. He is speaking of the phenolic spacers that go between the Upper and Lower manifolds. They generally come in 1/2" or 1" sizes. And technically they should give you an increase in low end torque...but the argument is how effective are they?

I figured that was the spacer that he was refering to, but I still do not see how it is possible to make more power with this, but am open to an explanation from someone?

I have one and the intake is still hot. I am able to fit my TFS intake under the stock hood but I had to cut out one of the supports under the hood that run from the center towards the driver side back. Supposidly it will give you a longer runner to get more low end torque but as for heat issues I doubt it does much. I had to do this spacer because my tall valve covers but I cannot say that it is worth the money as far as performance is conserned. Put it towards an e fan or 3g unless you have to clear some valve covers.
Kevin