Electric of Engine Driven Fan?

AdamInChains

Apr 22, 2006
I just put a 347 Stroker into my 65 coupe. Its a brand new block strait from ford and i heard the new ones tend to run a little hotter at first than seasoned blocks. I got a pretty nice aluminum radiator to cool it off but i'm debating on what type of fan to put on it. The guy at the engine shop Highly recomends an electric fan set to turn on at a certian temp. I know that the electric fans cool much better than an engine driven fan. And the electric doesn't give you any loss of HP. My only complaint about going electric is the annoying whinning sound you hear when they turn on. I have a decent set of exhuast on there and some headers but you can still totally hear that fan. Does anyone seem to have problems cooling off a new block with an engine driven fan? Any noticable power loss with engine driven? And finally, are there any electric fans that still cool good but are not completely annoying in sound??

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

www.dccontrol.com has a really good dynamic controler which ramps up the speed of the fan as its needed so you don't get the on... off... on. It also avoids spiking your electrical system. I wired one with a 70 amp relay as a manual switch just in case it fails.
Kevin

Electric fans have drag on the motor if they are turned on. I like thermostat clutch fans. They almost free wheel until the temp gets up and then lock up. Wiring harnesses are taxed enough on classics IMO. To do an electric fan right takes some work.

I already had an electric installed and they seem to have done a good wiring job. I also put on a high output alternator so i dont think electricity is a problem. Turns on/off at a certian temp and they wired it so it automatically turns off when the engine shuts off so you dont hear it spinning afterwards. It cools really well, i just hate listening to it. I might have to check out that controller from dcccontrol, thanks.