electrical problem fuseable link between starter solinoid and alternator fried

terr5178

May 1, 2008
I drove the 88 stang into the garage about a month ago to repaint it and I removed the battery cables. Yesterday when I hooked up the battery the fuseable link between the starter solinoid and alternator burnt up. I removed the clip from the alternator and hooked up the fuseable link. Then I plugged the clip back in the alternator and the fuseable link blew again. This was with the key in the off position and the on position. I cannot get the car to crank over anymore. What could be wrong?

• Sponsors (?)

i followed the wire all the way to the alternator from the fuseable link and there wasw no damage. Is there something going on in the alternator or the wires leading away from the alternator?

ok, where would the wire short out? What would a new type of alternator do if I haven't found the problem first. I just don't understand how a wire would short out if it is not contacting anything to cause it to touch ground. Do you mean inside the alternator? What is a 4g wire do you mean guage? Please tell me more info. I have a lot of experience with airplane engines and electrical but not much with this car. I only drove it 2 miles before i decided to repaint it.
thanks

I just remembered the yellow wire that goes to the regulator goes directly to the power wire, check that wire too.

If the yellow wire is good then it might be a bad regulator, I would take the alternator off and have it tested at autozone or somewhere. Then if you have to get a new one you might as well get a 3G because you'll eventually want one (94-95 mustang style alt.) and its highly recomended you get a 4ga main power wire to go with it.

Write up.
http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=646825

If the alternator isnt the problem then it has to be some kind of a ground out somewhere. wiring diagram

Which plug are you unplugging on the 2G alternator?

If the car won't crank, ensure the trigger wire for the solenoid is in place. Consider that other links could have fried.

Good luck.

problem solved

i charged the battery when it was in the garage. Unfotunately my charger is old and the color on the clips are not there so i charged the battery backwards. the positive became neg and the neg had 12 volts. It was if i putthe battery in backwards. Now i have a new starter solonoid, fuseable link, alternator, and radio. how that for a waste of money?