Electrical Problem...please help!!!

md20

Dec 12, 2004
I was just at a performance driving class in College Station, Texas and went through hell and back getting my stang to run for only one session. I kicked butt, passing a couple of lotuses, a beamer, and some other expensive car. However, after that on the way to dinner, my car dies again.

I replaced the alternator (finally got a 130 amp/$130 amp) twice Saturday, and then had to put in a brand new gel cell battery ($180). It only worked for about 6 hours, now it's dead again.

Any suggestions as to what might be wrong? Do I need to get a new wiring harness and have everything redone? Please help.

• Sponsors (?)

Now it's not doing anything. I was fine late saturday, now I think the battery has been fully drained because it won't even turn over.

Hey 89, I think that's it. I noticed that the two wires on your diagram were both put together at the "4 gauge wire to solenoid." I guess I need to un hook them and find which one is 4 gauge and leave that one on, then re-attach the other wire to the arrow that says "power when car is running"? Is this correct?

How do I know which one is 4 gauge? My mechanic at work did the install, so I guess he got the wiring wrong. It doesn't look like the middle port is able to take a wire. Is that a bolt that screws in?

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

md20 said:
Hey 89, I think that's it. I noticed that the two wires on your diagram were both put together at the "4 gauge wire to solenoid." I guess I need to un hook them and find which one is 4 gauge and leave that one on, then re-attach the other wire to the arrow that says "power when car is running"? Is this correct?

How do I know which one is 4 gauge? My mechanic at work did the install, so I guess he got the wiring wrong. It doesn't look like the middle port is able to take a wire. Is that a bolt that screws in?

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.
Actually the two wires that were both put together are the factory 10 gauge wires. They run to a single 10 gauge wire down a little further in the harness.
It should work with both wires hooked up to the treminal but I recommend that you unhook both wires and run a single 4 gauge wire from there to the starter solenoid.

The small "White/black" wire is your excitor wire and should be hooked up as shown. There is no bolt there, just a spade for a connector. You can use a female speaker connector for the mean time to hook it up but make sure it is getting power when the car is running. Use a test light for this to make sure. If it doesn't get power then the alternator will not charge.

I bought one of these when I did mine and rewired it.
3Gharness.jpg

It's only $20 and works great.

Go here to see.
http://fordfuelinjection.com/index.php?p=67