energy motor mounts with stock tranny mount

sick95gt

Sep 11, 2005
Las Vegas
Hey guys, I've come to the conclusion with all the vibration issues that I am going to change my tranny mount back to stock from the energy mount. I have energy motor mounts right now and I've exhausted myself trying to figure out what this ridiculous vibration is from. For those wondering about the history of the vibration, it started when I did the head swap a few hundred miles ago. The vibration gets worse with higher RPM. It does it whether or not I'm in gear, moving or not, clutch in or not. It's consistent with RPM. I had the balancer replaced when I did the swap. Its a professional product balancer, and I made sure the weight was correct. It does not wobble at all. I just replaced the clutch and all the components and the vibration is still there. I replaced the clutch since the car ran fine for 2 days after the head swap with the new balancer, but after a burn out on a 4 year old clutch, it started this crazy vibration. When I rev the engine, it seems as if the shifter is clunking, but it still does it with the clutch in, which confuses me. Anyways, I have a brand new set of stock motor and tranny mounts. I think I am going to swap the tranny mount first, then do the motor mounts to see if it helps any. I guess it makes sense that I could have damaged one or all three of the mounts during some harsh driving for a few days. The mounts have 80k miles on them. Well, I have a few questions. Can I run the stock tranny mount with energy motor mounts? I searched on how to change the tranny mount, but could not find out how. Someone told me that all i have to do is jack the tranny up, and swap the mounts. Should I just go ahead and swap all three back to stock? Anyone have any other ideas on what the hell could be causing this vibration?? I am about to just take my car somewhere to have someone look at it if this does not work. Thanks for any help.

• Sponsors (?)

i have urethane motor and tranny mounts and burnouts/donuts are my thing:D. i dont see any differece because my stock motor mounts were pretty much falling apart when i replaced them. from your post i could not tell whetether or not it happened while driving. if its while moving, i would venture a guess that your driveshaft is messed up. if its while stationary (could happen while moving too) i would check to see that everything is as tight as it should be.

i have heard that you are "supposed" to have the motor mounts and tranny mount made of the same material. this year i put my urethane motor mounts in but drove with the stock tranny mount for about 1k and everything was fine.

You're not the first to report vibration issues from the poly mounts. I have not seen issues on foxes with them but for some reason they don't always play nice with with 5N95's.

NOS mounts sound like a winner to me.

Good luck.

I am getting a similar vibration as well. I have prothane motor mounts and an energy suspension tranny mount hold my new 331 in place. I had the motor balanced with a pro products sfi balancer. new clutch. I was thinking that it may be my driveshaft but the vibration is tempermental. I sometimes feel it in the stick but then other time at high MPH like 80 it feelslike tires are out of balance. I need to do some troubleshooting myself.

it does it when moving and not moving. I put in an aluminum ds not too long ago too. It is just to the point where its not fun to drive the car anymore. I am almost thinking its something internal or something, but don't know what to check. I am going to change the mounts to see if that helps, but it not, then I'm stuck. The reason I really think the mounts have something to do with it is cuz i had vibration ever since the day they were put it, but it has gotten a lot worse now.