Engine Code help

67stangboy

Founding Member
Jan 6, 2002
Granite City
Found a stamped number on the back of my engine block today just behind the intake mani, did some searches cant find any thing on these numbers, not sure if this is the real block code (arn't block codes under the intake?) Just wanted to see if this codes means any thing to any one.

8G169101

Jason I.

• Sponsors (?)

hmmm.... with that number is there any way to find out what type of vehical it was and what year? Im trying to find out what year block I have without pulling the intake off, we had some problems with oil leaks around the intake and finaly got them fixed so im trying to find away around taking off the intake, but who knows maybe the reason the intake wasn't sealed right is because we thought it was a 1967 289 when we started.

67stangboy said:
Im trying to find out what year block I have without pulling the intake off
You don't need to pull anything off. crawl under the car and look for a cast-in number around the starter area. It will start with a letter followed by a number, another letter, and another number.

Here is the engine that came with my 289 engined '68. The fact that the block is a '69 (C=1960s decade, 9= year of that decade) means that it was actually a 302. It had some redneck rebuild; the bores were .060 over and the crank was .020/.020 under and the rods were ground all to hell for "balancing", and the bores were rusted so I tossed the shortblock in the junk pile. I had the roller 302 waiting anyway.

View attachment 474871

67stangboy said:
hmmm.... with that number is there any way to find out what type of vehical it was and what year? Im trying to find out what year block I have without pulling the intake off, we had some problems with oil leaks around the intake and finaly got them fixed so im trying to find away around taking off the intake, but who knows maybe the reason the intake wasn't sealed right is because we thought it was a 1967 289 when we started.
289-302, it doesn't matter, the intakes fit either one. Unless someone's milled too much off some parts, like the heads, intake, or block, you're not doing something right.

We eventualy fixed it, found out the company we ordered the gasket from sent the wrong one and then we had a slight problem with one of the bolts for the intake letting oil out through the threads, thats also been taken care of. Right now my main reason for wanting to find out about the engines year is so when it comes time to order spark plugs I don't have to play the "hey can you find a match to this plug" game. Plus im getting ready to start my new project engine and might be selling the whole 302 or parts of it for extra cash for the new engine.

You can put any 289/302/351W heads on any other 289302/351W. That means that unless your engine is entirely original, it could have either 18mm or 14mm plugs. The replacement 18s are getting to be less common. The only real way to see the date code on the heads is to at least pull the intake. It will be cast into the underside of the head where the pushrod holes are. You'll probably need a mirror.

I'm surprised car makers haven't switched to the smaller 10mm motorcycle plugs, especially for small displacement econo engines.

cool, thanks guys as soon as it stops raining (hopefuly tomrow) I'll go check the engine and the heads. Now that I actualy know a little about engines (first rebuild was my learing period) I'll keep a log book of every thing that goes on the new engine.