Engine Guru's need your help!!!(Non Mustang, long!)

Camman

Founding Member
Jan 5, 2000
Las Vegas, NV
I dont know where else to ask this so I apologize in advance if this is not appropriate.

Problem: 1999 Daewoo Leganza 2.2L seemingly seized.

History: The problems started when my buddy changed his valve cover gasket over 2 years ago. He knew nothing about cars but I told him he could do it(Maybe a huge mistake :shrug: ) Anyway he got it back together and the car ran for about 20 minutes before the timing belt broke. I was with him when it happened and we towed it home. The car sat for well over a year before about 2 months ago we tore it apart(financial issues). So we got the head machined, 4 valves replaced, and put the head back on. The timing belt was a pain in the ass but we got it together. The motor then had what sounded like a lazy lifter(even tho it has cam followers). Anyway I took a guess and thought maybe the oil pickup screen was clogged, so we pulled the oil pan and it turns out I was right. Very cool this 2.2l which is a gm motor has a windage tray stock!! This may seem lame to some who already knew this, but I thought it was pretty cool. So after the oil screen was cleaned and new oil put in again the car ran awesome. Ran perfectly smooth and had plenty of power. This lasted about a month

New Problem: On Easter my buddies cousing was driving the car when it broke. He says He was cruising at about 75 when he heard a loud noise and saw black smoke behind him. This was at night through a 5% tint. According to him the car indicated no signs of anything being wrong. The car was towed to my buddies house and we began checking it out. He went out the next morning and cranked the car over, he said it turned over 3 or 4 times and then he heard a loud clunk, which he says sounded similiar to a starter that has a low battery that will click the solenoid but not turn over the starter. So I started checking it out, and the battery was dead. We charged the battery over night and the starter still made a loud click. So I yanked the timing cover, and the belt looks good. The marks are not ligned up but the pulleys seem to have both turned the same distance. I can not turn the mottor to verify the marks are still exact, but they are very close. I then drained the oil and there are no metal shavings in the motor!! WTF could have happened? I thought maybe the starter was somehow jacked so we pulled that today but it made no difference, the motor will not turn over. Next step is to pull the oil pan(I am thinking this is easier than the head). There are no visible signs of a broken rod or anyhting, and I think if a bearing ate it it would leave metal shavings behind right?

So what do you guys think? I am thinking that his cousin was beating on it, I cant see a motor running fine and then having a huge catostrophic failure under normal cruising conditions. Also, the antifreeze looks perfect, just changed and appears to not be contaminated, it also appears to be at the same level as before the incident. I have the education but lack the experience, what could this possibly be, and is there anyhting I can do before yanking the oil pan? Thanks guys.. Oh yeah, I tried looking through the spark plug holes but couldnt seee anthing abnormal in any of them, just carbon covered piston. In case it matters, when we pulled the head the crosshatch was still on the cylinder walls, and everything else looked normal, but because of the windage tray I could not see any of the crank journals or connecting rods when we were in the bottom end. Thanks and sorry for the long story.

• Sponsors (?)