engine oil dipstiick replacment labor question

87stang205

May 17, 2003
92 302 stang engine oil dipstick tube poped out of the pan or block. I called a couple places and they are saying 200-300 bucks labor to replace the tube. Does the entire pan have to be replaced or taken out, or can the tube just be put back into the pan. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Make sure you're bracket that bolts to the header bolt is on when you pop it back in. You might need somebody to get under the car to help you guide in back in if it's your first time. 200-300 is crazy if all is needed is to put the dipstick in!

that much is crazy. i forgot to put my dip stick back in when i rebuild my 302, and it was a pain in the a$$ to put back in, i had to take the header off again to put it back in then bolt the header back on, cuz of the angle, the dip stick wouldnt go back in unless i did this.

It's not that much of a pain. You just have to loosen one header bolt to get the upper bracket in and tighten the bolt. You can feel around on the block just above the oil pan for the hole. Just slide it in as far as it will go. Done.

There is no way I would pay $300 to some knucklehead in a garage to do it for me. That is a new cam and some lifters right there. :nice:

$200-$300? Are you kidding me?

This is the kind of job that a Mustang specific shop would do for free! Find the hole in the block, slide the end of the dipstick in... unbolt the back header bolt on cyl. #5, place bracket behind the bolt, and tighten... bam your done! 5 minutes if you know what your doing. 30minutes MAX for a beginning who is tinkering and looking for tools!

87stang205
92 302 stang engine oil dipstick tube poped out of the pan or block.

The whole tube or just the upper half before it enters the block is what you have in you hand?
Maybe the reason the shops are quoting you $200-$300 is because they think that part of the tube is broke off and still in the block which is a PITA to get to after you’ve already removed the headers.
Sometime the only way to get the lower portion of the tube out if it’s broke off in the block is to pull the pan.
It's still expensive no matter how you look at it though.

I think its the entire tube that came out. The tube is a little shorter than the actual dipstick so I think its all. So it just sits in the block, not press fit or anything. There is no bracket like there should be so Im assuming it was broke off or maybe not the orignal stick and tube? Because when I drive the car and it warms up oil comes out of this hole and hits the headers and burns a ittle bit, can I out it in place and secure it somehow and maybe put a small bead of high temp rtv or silicone around the hole so it wont leak out. Thanks