Engine Engine power draw from A/C

93CalypsoConvert

Nov 26, 2020
Virginia
Does your Fox's AC also demand a lot of engine power? When mine is turned on, the car just feels like a slug. I can tell a significant difference in coasting; it feels like my brakes are being pressed. AC blows nice and cold.

• Sponsors (?)

Not really. I can tell there is some power loss, but it's nothing like what you describe. In fact, i was actually quite surprised to see how little i could feel that the compressor was engaged.

Not sure if my HP level has something to do with that. I do remember my 2003 GT's AC felt like you threw an anchor out the window anytime you turned the A/C on. It was bad. My car is making more power that that car.

Reactions: 1 user
I have the classic GT40 and full bolt on combo. Feels like I'm pulling a trailer. It slams back to idle when I push the clutch due to how much drag it causes. Maybe my compressor has some sort of internal failure, but still works :shrug:

That could be a symptom that the system is overcharged or has too much oil. When there is too much refrigerant, the gas stays in its liquid form and is much harder to push through the system. I could see that causing a huge load on the compressor.

How hot does the high side of the compressor get? Can you hook up some guages and get a pressure reading