Engine Engine rebuild suggestions

The reason I upgraded my heads was because the '85 E5 heads had the crossover. Well as you know they don't work for performance. So I did searches to see where I wanted to go and what I could find in my area.

• Sponsors (?)

So, as I was working on my second head, one question came up. This time I was so confident that I knew how to get the keepers out, that I forgot I needed a socket over the retainer and just wacked the valve with the hammer a couple of times. All is fine, but I used a framing hammer and it left small indents in the corner of the valve stem where the rocker rides from the pattern on the hammer. I think it'd be ok, but what do you guys think-- should I buy a new valve or can I keep the old one?

2nd question. For some reason, I always thought, without thinking much about it, that the bigger valve is the exhaust and the smaller one is intake. That is NOT the case. However, that, then, means that my valve stem steals, on the completed head, are reversed. Should I go through the pain of changing them and risking they don't seal as well from being removed, or are they ok as is. I think it should be fine leaving them. Thoughts?

1709153314180.png

UPDATE: I called Fel-Pro. The Blue valve cover seals are for Intake, Black are for exhaust. Black ones are made to withstand higher heat as the exhaust valves heat up more. Looks like I'll end up redoing that first head to be safe.

UPDATE: I called Fel-Pro. The Blue valve cover seals are for Intake, Black are for exhaust. Black ones are made to withstand higher heat as the exhaust valves heat up more. Looks like I'll end up redoing that first head to be safe.
Just look at this as all of the experience you will be getting doing these....
I seem to learn more from my mistakes than being able to read the installation manual...
chalk it up to that.....

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
So, as I was working on my second head, one question came up. This time I was so confident that I knew how to get the keepers out, that I forgot I needed a socket over the retainer and just wacked the valve with the hammer a couple of times. All is fine, but I used a framing hammer and it left small indents in the corner of the valve stem where the rocker rides from the pattern on the hammer. I think it'd be ok, but what do you guys think-- should I buy a new valve or can I keep the old one?

2nd question. For some reason, I always thought, without thinking much about it, that the bigger valve is the exhaust and the smaller one is intake. That is NOT the case. However, that, then, means that my valve stem steals, on the completed head, are reversed. Should I go through the pain of changing them and risking they don't seal as well from being removed, or are they ok as is. I think it should be fine leaving them. Thoughts?
I'm going to suggest taking it to a machine shop and let them do what you need. Right now it's not going to cost much and you can throw them on. If you don't have it right then I'm guessing you might be tearing it down again. I always say better safe then sorry. Save money down the road on head gaskets and stuff also.

When I bought my P heads they were already gone through and shaved. I spent maybe $100 for them to do cam matching springs which they ordered. So springs and labor was $100.
I have turned close to 8,000 rpm on my build. The P heads are known for floating valves. Match your cam and you just helped on the tune of your car.

Question on heads-- is there a right head and a left head, or are they interchangeable? And if they're not, how do you tell where each goes?
I know E7s and 3-bar GT40 heads need to have the secondary air injection ports facing the rear of the engine. This means they are side specific if you're planning to keep factory style emissions equipment, plus it's going to make mounting accessories a lot easier when the heads are on the correct way.

Looks like you're using P heads which I am fairly certain do not have air injection ports (and are therefore interchangeable between sides), but might be worth checking.

Reactions: 1 user
I know E7s and 3-bar GT40 heads need to have the secondary air injection ports facing the rear of the engine. This means they are side specific if you're planning to keep factory style emissions equipment, plus it's going to make mounting accessories a lot easier when the heads are on the correct way.
Good point here that I forgot about......

Reactions: 1 user