Engine Engine rebuild suggestions

One thing to remember when cutting threads
The tap or die, not only cuts threads, but it re positions (bends) the metal at the same time
It needs lubrication (cutting oil) and to be backed up a quarter turn about every 3/4 turns
Glad you got it done

Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

I was smart enough to use WD-40 as cutting oil, but I learned about the 3/4 turn 1/4 turn only after, by watching youtube :)

WD-40 probably worked okay since it was a relatively soft material you were tapping. Would not recommend it for a harder material, like steel. And absolutely not for even harder materials, like stainless steel or a hardened steel. For those, use a dedicated tapping oil, like Tap Magic or some equal.

Reactions: 1 user
One more thing-- I ended up buying a new ACT and Coolant Temp Sensor from LMR. Came as a kit for under $30. Figure it's worth changing them now as long as I got everything apart.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Alright, so went to set the lifter preload last night. Set all valves to 0 lash and after that, all 15 rockers torqued to 19 ft lbs within 1/4-1 turn. Most in 3/4 turn. However, one pushrod, on cylinder 5, I can't get to snug up. It does NOT move up and down, but it does spin kind of freely, even when the rocker is torqued to 21 ft lbs. Now, keep in mind, my lifters haven't seen oil yet, but unlike my other other lifters, I can't seem to get this one to pre-load. What are my options?

From what I can think:
1. Maybe it'll snug up once the lifters see oil and I'm overthinking it? However, it'd still be different from others.
2. I could look for a bigger pushrod, but isn't it odd to have 1 pushrod a different size? Besides, the pushrods being sold are in 0.050 increments, and I'm afraid I need something less.

What do you suggest?