Engine trouble

I just installed trick flow twisted wedge heads and a stage one cam in my car. Im using the stock intake and tb. When i start the car the idle surges from 400 to 1000 and when im coming to a stop and i push in the clutch the car will just die. I need some advice on what to check. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

The computer needs to learn the new combo, I would first disconnect the neg cable for 15mins, then start the car let it find an idle, turn on your heat and radio. Then go drive the car, easy and hard...the EEC will relearn the new combo and adjust the parameters. The Stage 1 cam idles very nicely...

Once you do that if you still have issues we can start checking everything. Make sure all you hose clamps are tight and you have no leaks in the intake system. I found the 76mm needed the air tube to be near straight up (like stock) to idle correctly, and a stock airbox worked best.

Check the firing order. Remove the #1 & #3 spark plugs. Put your finger in #1 spark plug hole. Crank the engine over until you feel compression on #1 cylinder. Slowly turn the engine until the TDC mark and the timing pointer line up. Mark TDC on the balancer with chalk or paint. Put your finger in #3 spark plug hole and crank the engine 90 degrees. You should feel pressure trying to blow past your finger. If you do not feel pressure, repeat the process again. If you feel pressure, it is a HO engine.

No pressure the second time, remove spark plug #5. Put your finger in #1 spark plug hole. Crank the engine over until you feel compression on #1 cylinder. Put your finger in #5 spark plug hole and crank the engine 90 degrees. If you feel pressure now, the engine is not a HO model, no matter what it says on the engine.

Using a small carpenter or machinist square to mark the harmonic balancer off into 90 degree sections may be helpful here.

A 15/16 deep socket & breaker bar or ratchet may be used to turn the engine.

The HO firing order is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8.
Non HO firing order is 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8

Once you have verified the firing order is correct, see the sticky "Help me create the Surging Idle Checklist" at the top of the forum for help with your idle problems. The first post contains all the updates to the fixes. I continue to update it as more people post fixes or ask questions.

Slo 5.0 said:
I also have comp 1.6 roller rockers, 6.7'' pushrods, 24# injectors, c&l 76mm maf

6.7 pushrods ??? sounds a little off to me , most are like 6.3-6.4 range on roller cams I thought ?? also double check the injector wires on cyl 1 and 2 they can be crossed if you arent careful

Slo 5.0 said:
what would happen if the pushrods were too long?

rocker tips would not ride on the center of the valve , causing premature wear of the valvetrain and I would assume it may could cause problems with getting the rockers properly adjusted which in turn would cost some power if its not adjusted right and possibly cause your problems your having if its way out of wack

You're push rods are fine. If it was me I believe I would try and turn the idle screw in just a little and see if that helps. I know some will say not to set it, but if you just done the swap maybe the throttle plate is closing all the way and starving it for air when you come to a stop.

I have the same kit and I had that problem when I first had it. What happened with mine was that we had to adjust the throttle opening and the timing. My car surged really bad for a week until my mechanic opened up the throttle enough to idle around 800 and then we double checked the timing and it was set at 0º . Not that yours is set that low, but we were one notch off on the distributor. OOPS... and now I surge rarely and i'm set at 750 idle and 14-15º timing. I also added a chip because if you go to the trick flow website they tell you that their cam doesn't work with stock computers. BTW I just added this kit 1 month ago and my car occasionally will die at stops. I've been told it needs professional tuning. Let me know if you get it to work right.