Engineer Gets 110 MPG Out Of '87 Mustang

• Sponsors (?)

This guy won't give away his secret though. He has several mustangs like this.

Impluse101 you are only what...roughly 100mpg off? you will get there one day. Sorry I'm having bad mpg issues as well. Hope you get yours taken care of.

Sorry guys but I'm going to have to remain a skeptic. His claims are just too incredible for me to believe. Keep in mind that there are patents for 100 MPG carbs and the Loch Ness Monster photo was published in news papers and cited as authentic.

I realize that he is running e85 (which really he'll end up burning more fuel), has an electric motor, and has MDS, but look at single cylinder bikes like the Buell Blast. They have an electronic feedback carb and only make around 70 MPG. That's on a bike that weighs less than 400 lbs not a mustang that weighs over 3000, and he's claiming to make almost twice that.

Without me actually physically seeing this thing in action I will remain a skeptic.

Interesting, this isn't the same guy from a few years back who claimed to get this kind of mileage from his 87 lx mustang to win some 1million dollar challenge is it?

EDIT: it is, and its 10million.. my bad :)

Interesting, this isn't the same guy from a few years back who claimed to get this kind of mileage from his 87 lx mustang to win some 1million dollar challenge is it?

EDIT: it is, and its 10million.. my bad :)

wasnt he proven to be a fraud?? I remember reading up on him a lot and he wouldnt back any of his claims. He also caught some heat over on corral for some other dealings he had going on.

When they hyper-miled the new Fusion hybrid, didn't it get more than 80mpg? I don't think its necessarily impossible, just very unlikely.

I notice the news article claims that typical efficiencies of gasoline engines are about 8-10%. If they are talking thermal efficiency, they are way off. IIRC, typical gasoline engine thermal efficiency is roughly 25-30% (though its been a while since I took thermodynamics class). They do say that his is 38%.

Thermal efficiency of an internal combustion gasoline motor is roughly 25-30% as stated, diesel about 40-45% and those are the best out there. This car at roughly 55mph on a flat surface with no wind resistance would have to boast at least 68-70% efficiency to achieve the results he claims. So unless the laws of physics cease to apply under the hood of his car its just not possible.