Evil Drone

PezKing

Jan 21, 2003
middletown, DE
okay, i got the SLP catback a while ago and LOVED the sound difference it made. i just installed my UPR offroad x-pipe the other day and i've noticed an awful and disgusting ricey drone/fart-can noise between 2250-3000 rpms. it sounds great everywhere else in the powerband, but the sound is driving me nuts!!! i plan on getting cats welded in it on wednesday, how much of a difference will that make? i'm thinking it may be vibrating against something, but i haven't had a chance to put it back up to look. any input/help/advice would be greatly appreciated. is it just the particular x-pipe/catback combo? if i can't get rid of this ricey drone, i may have to take the x-pipe out.
thanks, steve

• Sponsors (?)

PezKing said:
okay, i got the SLP catback a while ago and LOVED the sound difference it made. i just installed my UPR offroad x-pipe the other day and i've noticed an awful and disgusting ricey drone/fart-can noise between 2250-3000 rpms. it sounds great everywhere else in the powerband, but the sound is driving me nuts!!! i plan on getting cats welded in it on wednesday, how much of a difference will that make? i'm thinking it may be vibrating against something, but i haven't had a chance to put it back up to look. any input/help/advice would be greatly appreciated. is it just the particular x-pipe/catback combo? if i can't get rid of this ricey drone, i may have to take the x-pipe out.
thanks, steve
welcome to the club. Most of the o/r x pipes do this. I have the bbk, same thing. I still love my x pipe though, it is worth the drone. Once you drive it for a while, you will learn how to keep the drone minimal, assuming you have a 5 speed.

Have someone else drive your car and you listen. Itll sound 100 times better than you think it does. For some reason, my exhaust combo sounds horrible in the car, too, but outside, its just sounds pissed off and really deep and angry. Had a friend drive my car in a parking lot for me :D I loved it and couldnt believe that it was my car.

HoustonGT said:
Have someone else drive your car and you listen. Itll sound 100 times better than you think it does. For some reason, my exhaust combo sounds horrible in the car, too, but outside, its just sounds pissed off and really deep and angry. Had a friend drive my car in a parking lot for me :D I loved it and couldnt believe that it was my car.

Ditto........It ALWAYS sounds much different outside the car as it does in it !!

ok, i think that sound you are talking about is when the engine is revving down while clutch still engaged....around 2000-3000 rpms. That is not drone....but nevertheless a very crappy sound.

I had a bassani o/r X-pipe, and it did that....i finally swapped it out for an o/r h-pipe and couldn't be happier. Some people told me that it was my catback(Borlas), but i sold it to my friend with Flows and it still makes that same rattling sound...but not as bad as mine.

PezKing said:
vipergts281: maybe you guys can hear it tonight if something's goin on.
I probably won't be around. I'm going to a party tonight. Btw, we are cruising to Dover tomorrow. Let me know if you want to join us. [email protected]

Maybe you should consider swapping to a H-pipe? Actually, the cats you are having welded in might make it sound better.

I have the SLP Longtubes, O/R X, and Loudmouth, and there is an awful drone around 3000 rpm too. But its not like a humming drone, its a sharp tinny drone. But everyone is right, It sounds 100 times better outside of the car, so as long as you can stand it, i wouldnt worry about it because it probably sounds great outside.

Andy

i dunno, it just sounds like a darn fart pipe from 2k-3k with the SLP loudmouth. it wouldn't be so bad if it was somewhere else, but that's right in normal driving territory. i CANNOT deal with it day to day. i think it sounds like the civics i make fun of, just louder.
i'm trying to decide if it's even worth welding in the cats. has anyone had an o/r X and welded in cats or have an off road X then switch to a catted X?
maybe i should try to find an aftermarket H-pipe, but funds are very tight. if i can't fix this, i'm goin back to the factory H-pipe... BAH!!!!

PezKing said:
i dunno, it just sounds like a darn fart pipe from 2k-3k with the SLP loudmouth. it wouldn't be so bad if it was somewhere else, but that's right in normal driving territory. i CANNOT deal with it day to day. i think it sounds like the civics i make fun of, just louder.
i'm trying to decide if it's even worth welding in the cats. has anyone had an o/r X and welded in cats or have an off road X then switch to a catted X?
maybe i should try to find an aftermarket H-pipe, but funds are very tight. if i can't fix this, i'm goin back to the factory H-pipe... BAH!!!!
I just sent you an e-mail..........

O/R h-pipe is probably what you want. No more than $150. Also, I heard someone has Prochambers for like $190.

PezKing said:
thanks, steve

I would sell the x and buy a h-pipe before you go through the cost of welding in cats. I have a vrs-x and a borla. my only wierd sound is during decelreation. kind of a "rattling" sound. it is not rubbing anywhere just a wierd sound. I would say it is a leak but ther is no "popping" I don't mind it beause I don't hear it that offten. did king of make me wish I went with the mrt h pipe though.

I hear ya. I could not live with a sound that bothered me under aceleration. would drive me nuts. the loudmouth is a very "open" sounding exhuast maybe the x-pipe is not the best choice??? by "open" I mean I don't hear the sound of a muffler so to speak it sound like open headers just a bit quiter. where with like bassani, borla, flowmaster, etc there is a distinct sound to it. you would think it would be okay because slp makes them for the combo. bet the mofo is loud though. the gm cars with no cats and loudmouths are very loud.