Roush exhaust difference pre99 vs 99up

SSS281

Founding Member
Dec 27, 2001
Kutztown, PA
looking for some advice for anyone whos heard both cars with similar exhaust setups whether it be stock or both have o/r bassani xpipe, etc. which car is louder? i know the pre99 ran a borla xr1 catback. on the newer cars like mine i just bought the saleen borla system and it has mufflers that are larger than the xr1 but have nothing stamped on them [no borla name] ive heard this muffler is similar to the xr1 style muffler so it would be louder than the standard borla muffler. well so far its louder than the borla ive had on before but after 1700 miles i was hoping it would be much louder by now. my brother has a 96 cobra with a dr gas off-road xpipe and a borla xr1 catback. i have bbk longtubes a short dr gas off-road xpipe and the saleen borla system. i have a catback from a 98 in my garage i was thinking about chopping out the saleen muffs for the xr1s if itll sound like my brother car...the thing is wicked. anyways if any of you have heard both cars can you tell me the difference, are the xr1s that much louder?

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

i know some of u guys own both, i just want to confirm if one is louder than the other or not thats all before i go ahead with the trouble of changing mufflers again. theres 2500 miles on the exhaust after this weekend its just not loud enough maybe ill swap out for a stinger system.

Well,

Saleen went from Borla to Magnaflow around the middle of the 02 year. Saleen Mike will know exactly when. Not sure exactly what the question is but in my opinion the pre 99 Borla's ( the tiny mufflers ) are louder than the 99 and up. It sounds like the only thing you want to try is the older Borlas. You will know immediately if you like them better. I know they were louder on my car but it pushrod.

ok thanks yea that was what i was asking which mufflers are louder the tiny ones pre99 or the borla 99-02 mufflers. i guess ill try switching since i have a catback from a 98. its funny i see a lot of you guys posting about hoarding saleen parts even if you dont need them for future 'just in case' times. i found myself doing the same thing. extra racecraft suspension laying around, spare centercaps, extra 3rd wing-tailight, looking at an extra wheel incase i curb one.