Exhuming a distributor.

Jon350

Founding Member
Mar 12, 2001
SoCal
I'm switching out the current distributor for the good ol msd pro billet. The first time i did this 5 years ago (when i just bought the car and was new to motors) was with an original points style distributor. It just wouldn't budge. I ended up bring it to a shop. I was wondering if there are any pointers you guys can give me on pulling it out and setting it back in properly. The MSD manual mentions turing the oil pump shaft to make everything seat nicely, do i have to remove the oil pan for that or can i just crank the crank over slowly? Any info guys. thanx.

• Sponsors (?)

My MSD pro billet distributor has the problem that when my car warms up It gets stuck in it's spot and I can't turn it to set timing. When the car cools down I can turn it again.

It sucks because I have only a window of less than 10 minutes after I first fire up the car to be able to set my timing. Then I have to wait for the car to cool down again if I don't get it right.

As for a solution to your problem, you could try putting some ice around the distributor (of course when the engine is already cold) and distributor hole to try and contract the metal a bit. It might help, who knows :shrug: