Explorer intake install question- what size vacuum hoses to buy?

astronut1885

Founding Member
Jan 31, 2002
Assonet, MA
Hey guys. I am going to be installing a 97 Explorer (GT40) intake into my stang next week along with a lot of other stuff. I know I need to fabricate some vacuum tubing to connect everything back together. What I need to know is what size diameter tubing to get. I was told I could use fuel line, but there is more than one size, and I want to make sure I have everything I need to do the install. Also, aside from tube diameter, how much should I need? Will 3 feet cover everything? Thanks guys! :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

On my Explorer intake - there are basically 2 port sizes - the larger size that goes to the power brake booster/pcv valve, and the smaller size that runs to FPR, egr, thermactors, etc. I'd take the upper to the parts store, and physically check to be sure you're getting the right size. 3' should be enough for pcv and brakes; you may need more than that of the smaller stuff - on mine the vacuum hose for the cannister purge valve alone is longer than 3'. Can't you use your existing hoses as a guide? Pull them off when you remove the existing intake, and then make a parts store run. That'll give you proper diamter and lengths.

Be aware that the small forward facing vacuum tubes on the underside of the intake have no vacuum (all the small ones that radiate from the same larger tube). Just plug them. You have one larger and longer tube facing forward that has good vacuum, I used that for my map (critical for SD). If I remember correctly, the PCV line is facing forward as well (you'll see that one). You will need a splitter (T) to use the back facing vacuum tubes since you have only one small one in back and it will need to go to the EGR and FPR. There is a big one in the back for the vacuum tree. The rear facing vacuum line is very small diameter, but has good vacuum. I know you want to prepare in advance, but don't worry about the vacuum lines. You'll be able to work it out.
I have SD and an early Explorer V8 intake too. Many of your old lines will be useable.

get 2 feet of 3/8" tubing, thats what I used on mine for the brake booster, and the PCV, most of your other existing hoses should plug in, you'll have to plug a couple of the lines coming off the intake, there are just too many...

As mentioned before, some of the lines aren't actually connected internally to the manifold. So, you need to test each one and be sure it's actually gonna provide vacuum once hooked up. Attach a short piece of clean hose and suck on it ( :) ) -- you'll know immediately whether it's a 'live' port or not. If they're live and unused, cap them. Any parts store will have caps. If they're not live, you don't want to hook up a line (no vacuum) and you don't need to cap them.

On mine - I used the larger port in the back for pcv; the larger port in the front for power brakes and, with a small 'tee' fitting, the inside-the-car hvac controls and vacuum gauge; I used the small port on the back for afpr; I used the small port on the front for purge valve/cannister. My thermactors and egr are gone, so no hook up there. By 'back' I mean the firewall side of the intake; by 'front' I mean the distributor side of the intake.

I don't even know everything that needs vacuum. That's why I'm asking.
I just tested my lines to see which ones are "live", and I have a three way piece on the front (one plug with three hookups), I have one skinny one in the rear, I have a two way plug under the rear of the runners, and I have one under the front of the runners. I took the long skinny one that was on the front off of the intake as it was a "dead" line. So I have 7 vac hookups. Is that enough?
attachment.php

you definately don't need the one with on the front of the intake that hangs over the valve cover, you can cut and plug that if you want because it looks bad when installed.

Just buy hose, and when you put the intake on, improvise. Get some caps of some sort and plug the ones you have left over after oyu have it all hooked up.

More than enough ports on the Explorer - some will likely be capped; both thermactor switches get vacuum, the egr switch gets vacuum - and then a line runs from it to the egr valve; a line to the hvac controls inside the car; power brakes; pcv; purge valve for the charcoal cannister; fuel pressure regulator. I believe that's it.

I took my intake off tonight. I used the biggest port in the middle on the front of the intake, everything else on the front is capped. on the back side, I used the 90* bent tube off the intake for my PCV. and 2 of the other bigger tubes in the middle. Everything else is capped.

I only used 4 ports on the intake.