Explorer VS Fox TB info needed....

RIO5.0

15 Year Member
Feb 16, 2001
N.H.
Gents.....I'm attempting to swap over to the fox style TB set-up....I bought an Explorer 65mm as I have a 96 Explorer U/L...The TB and intake are both 96's..

I would appear (see the pic) that the Swivel the throttle cable connects to, is one the wrong side???? As the throttle cable sits in the pic, you can see its way off to connecting ??? right???
Can anyone enlighten me....I got the throttle cable bracket of an 86 fox yesterday, the 2 TBs looked identical....I guess maybe not, cause this doesnt appear to be working....looks like the "travel" is wrong...Anyone have a pic of a Fox unit???

Thanks....

Attachments

• Ex linkage.jpg
    Ex linkage.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 155
  • Sponsors (?)

I have an explorer TB on my car.

What you need to do is completely disassemble the TB. Unbolt the butterfly and take the throttle shaft off.

You will need a 87-93 mustang TB to use as parts. What you want to do is take the throttle shaft off the Mustang TB and put it in the explorer TB.

First thing you will notice is you can't put a 65mm blade on a shaft with a 60mm shaft. You will need to dremel 2.5mm from each side til you can put the 65mm blade on the mustang's shaft.

Once you get that, slide the shaft up the slot and put the blade on. Screw it and pinch the screws so they don't back out.

Next problem, the tube that runs to the oil fill vent. You can either drill and JB weld the Mustang tube in it. Or you can cap the port at the oil fill neck and use a breather. I went breather...looks better.

Biggest problem is the TPS. Using the dremel, i ground down the TPS mount block a bit. Next i JB welded up the two moutn holes. Then i drilled and tapped two new holes to mount my TPS.

Another way is to grind the welds off the explorer and mustang shafts and take the two arms off. Transfer the Mustang arm to the explorer shaft and reweld it on. Then you can use the Explorer TPS and splice it to the Mustang's TPS end so it will plug in the harness.

It's a little work, but what you end up with is basically a FMS 65mm TB which is a littl $$ if you were to buy it seperate

Just realized you had an SN95 and were trying to convert to a Fox TB. In that case, you have no idea what the hell i am saying! :)

Might want to go pick up a used 87-93 throttle body for $10 and use that for now.

Then you can get another for parts and convert the explorer TB so you can use it

Thanks Mike....So my answer is, YES, i got the wrong TB...damn... :bang:..W.T.F. and all that other chit....I got this one for 60.00, which was reasonable....Oh Well....Murphys law is guess....

I was thinking of removing that plate, rotating it to the other side and seeing what goes...it would appear it just needs to be placed 180 deg from where it is??
A Fox TB pic would be cool....

RIO5.0 said:
Thanks Mike....So my answer is, YES, i got the wrong TB...damn... :bang:..W.T.F. and all that other chit....I got this one for 60.00, which was reasonable....Oh Well....Murphys law is guess....

I was thinking of removing that plate, rotating it to the other side and seeing what goes...it would appear it just needs to be placed 180 deg from where it is??
A Fox TB pic would be cool....

It's not the wrong one. It's the same as any other explorer TB. You can still use it, it's just not a 100% bolt on.

I don't have a good pic of a Fox TB, but maybe you can search Ebay and find a good one? :shrug:

If you are gonna remove the plate and flip it 180 degrees, you would just be better off removing the plate, and putting the correct Mustang plate on there instead. Like i said you could pick a 87-93 fox TB up very cheap...maybe 5-10 bucks.

After that all you would need is a couple tack welds and to make a hybrid explorer/fox TPS sensor.

Damn...I found one...Heres the 86-93 Fox....This one is 180 degrees away from the Ex unit..... :mad:

Live and learn i guess....I'm gonna undo it, reposition..

Attachments

• Fox TB.jpg
    Fox TB.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 136
Tom....Thanks....

I got it on.....I cut the swivel assy off, connected up the throttle cable....Used a magnet to hold the ball position and then adjusted it, tack welded it...connected the cable and checked it...its mint...runs full range to WOT and back to shut nice and smooth...no "catches" or the like...

As far as the TPS....i'm gonna spice it in, check the volts and hope all's cool there...I have to figure out a CAI and it should be good to go...I HOPE...

Attachments

• Fox 1.jpg
    Fox 1.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 152