F150 brake question

Wolvrin704

Apr 17, 2007
Milford, OH
I know that techinically this doesn't belong in here but I figured it would get the most traffic and quickest answer. I posted this on an F150 forum but as usual when it comes to tech questions those guys never answer or are just clueless. This question really doesn't matter whether its a Stang or not because its mecahinical issues that could happen on any vehicle, besides it is a 4.6 engine!

Truck: 1997 F150 4x4 supercab
Problem: no brake pressure

Currently I have absolutely NO brake pressure with the truck running. I think I know the problem but wanted some opinions first. I'll give the run-down of whats been done because it started as a simple brake job.

1. Truck's been sitting for about 6 months or so, rotors were warped so I purchased new rotors and pads.

2. As usual the drivers side took 1/2 a day to beat off. Finally got it off and then found the hard brake line was completely rusted through and was leaking.

3. Finished up pads and rotors to both sides. Went to local parts store and bought a brake line (ended up going back to get custom fitting on one end as the original new one was too small in diameter). Also when doing the passenger side the flex line broke so I went ahead and replaced both sides.

4. Tried to bleed lines but bleeder screws were froze up and I had a leak coming at the new hard line connection to the flex line, was leaking with old flex line too.

5. Bought new calipers for both sides. Bled passenger side, a LOT of air.

6. Bought another hard line for the drivers side, the orginal connector was very long so got a short one.

7. Now I have absolutely no pressure and have went all the way back to where the hard line starts and there is no fluid coming out.

8. This morning when replacing the hard line again I noticed I had left the cap off the master cylinder. So my thinking is perhaps the master cylinder could be bad?

Would appreciate any and all help. My plan for now is to try and bleed the passenger side again, if I'm not getting any fluid then the master cylinder is probably the culprit.

• Sponsors (?)

First time on this particular page; didn't even know it was here!

I think your idea #8 is correct - or maybe close to correct. If the master cylinder has i]not/i] burped a seal or two; the other option is that it has an air bubble (or 30). First try bleeding the the master cylinder; if that doesn't work try a new one and bleed it!

Oh, yeah! Same for the distribution block/valve; although I'm guessing that it's either an air bubble or bad seals in the master cyl. Did it ever run dry on you; maybe while you've been beating on the brakes?