F303 to much for this combo?

88GT17MA

Nov 1, 2004
I have been looking at the F303 cam for a while now. My plan is to rebuild my 302. Will the F303 be to much lift (512) for daily driving if I were to use ported stock heads, ported stock intake, and 6 PSI boost? I could just go with the E303 but I want something a little more agressive. Just looking for an off the shelf cam nothing custom.

• Sponsors (?)

well from my knowledge, the f-303 cam was designed to meet up with forced induction. thats what i have in my block, which was going to be supercharged, yet i ran outta money, so i have a shortblock sitting on my floor. HAH.. i dont think it would be at all, especially if your going to be running boost

you may want to get hardened pushrods, and bigger valve springs. when i bought the f-303 cam i was told i would need both, due to the added lift, you dont wnat the valves to float, and hardened pushrods would be an added bonus so nothing breaks. would run maybe $300 extra

if you want, i have stock 302 heads, 1.6 roller rockers, double valve springs to hold the f-303 cam, and oversized valves for sale.. no port and polish... if you want ill get rid of them, with everything for $300.

good luck!

although it may only be worth 10-20 HP, you should probably look at a dual pattern cam intead that has more exhaust duration to help the tiny E7 exhaust ports flow, especially with the blower taking care of the intake side, its always better to help the exhaust too.If you got the time then look up some dyno tests, there should be something somewhere to look at.

i just installed an F303 with 1.72 RRs on my slighty P + P e7s....and let me tell ya, this cam is nasty. Good street manners, awsome idle and itll make the car go sideways at 50 mph if i bang 2nd with stock 3.08 gears...i had all the other cams b303 and e303, this is by far the best performing and sounding. Definitely not over kill. I just put the 1.7s on and it just got stronger and the idle loped al whole lot more. Very streetable. I can set the idle so that u can barely tell theres a cam in there at 900rpm. go for it, ur blower will love the 114lsa.

5.0b303 said:
i just installed an F303 with 1.72 RRs on my slighty P + P e7s....and let me tell ya, this cam is nasty. Good street manners, awsome idle and itll make the car go sideways at 50 mph if i bang 2nd with stock 3.08 gears...i had all the other cams b303 and e303, this is by far the best performing and sounding. Definitely not over kill. I just put the 1.7s on and it just got stronger and the idle loped al whole lot more. Very streetable. I can set the idle so that u can barely tell theres a cam in there at 900rpm. go for it, ur blower will love the 114lsa.

So with 1.7's it sounds good at idle?? I saw a car with an F-cam one time and it was probably the meanest idle Ive heard in a while. Im in the process of building a motor and I bought the F cam for it. Also what kind of numbers are people running with nitrous and the F-cam??

well when i first put it in, i had the stock rockers on there. The car barely loped at all, but for some reason, all the cars i had cams in sounded very stock with a cam (B and E303). It just my luck cause i luv that lope so of course it doesnt happen. SO after i got her runnin, i threw a set of 1.7s and trickflow springs on it...and what a difference! it lopes alot more then it did, but not as much as some people say this cam does. You said uve heard one b4 and it was mean as hell? u can now def tell theres a cam in there but b4 the 1.7s, u could only tell if u knew what u were listening for. weird huh? i messed with the idle forever..dropping it low to 600 and nothing, just quiet, no lope.

describe how the Fcam u heard sounded.did the car have heads and all? caus ei m sure that makes a big diff in sound.

i had clearance problems with milled j302 heads with 1.94s. the valves were actually hitting the brow of the relief..but im pretty sure the j302 heads have a different vavle angle cause everyone else can run 1.94s with no problems. My stock heads had .100 on the intake clearance.

5.0b303 said:
describe how the Fcam u heard sounded.did the car have heads and all? caus ei m sure that makes a big diff in sound.

Well It was a 302 w/ alum. heads, Intake, f-cam, rockers, long tubes w/ o/r h pipe and flows. This guy started it up at a show and about 10 seconds later there was a crowd of people asking him what cam he was running. Honestly if I had ever pulled up next to this car at a light I would be really intimidated. My freind ran an E-cam and it sounded good but the F is supposed to have a little rougher idle.

thats y im running the e-cam in my motor. with a kenne bell and a 347 i want to b able to pull up to people and think its juss another mustang with an exhaust. all id have to say to them..."try me!"

ots cams that i would use is the trick flow stage 1.
this would be a better overall cam for your setup.
my second choice would be the crower #511 with 1.7 rockers.
hope this help