Failed Emmissions... Very Badly - Help!

kdog_x

Founding Member
Nov 12, 2001
Just went in for emmisions today, only test I passed was the gas cap test. :D Anyway, the CO emmisions were pretty close, the limit is 15.0 - I had a 15.3. But the hydrocarbons part didn't work out so well. The limit was 0.8 and I scored a 3.90. Guess this means I'm running 5x too rich.

The car is pretty much stock as far as the motor is concerned. However, I have longtubes and an offroad H pipe (No smog pump hooked up). I've heard of other people passing with this setup so I figured I'd give it a shot.

What I didn't know was that I can only take the test ONE more time -- those bastards, and I'm gonna have to get some receipts before I can even do that.

So I'll probably have to go buy a catted shorty H pipe first off (temporarily anyway). But I'm trying to figure out what else I should do. From what I've heard the smog pump doesn't do that much for you anyway, anyone know for sure? Also, does pouring isopropyl alcohol with your gas really help with anything? I thought I could take the test as many times as I wanted, so I was just gonna mess with it until I passed -- but now I dont know what to do :shrug:

Also, with the new pipe on -- should I go take emmisions right away after installation or will that mess anything up?

• Sponsors (?)

220, damn I need to move to NC :rolleyes:

At least I wouldve been a little closer to passing.

Maybe I should go apply for a job at a test station here in Illinois :nice:

Do you have a VP station in your area? VP makes a fuel called Motorsport 103. It was originally created for high performance FI cars to meet California standards. It's a 103 octane fuel, unleaded obviously, and it has a detergent additive that cleans injectors yet runs real clean. If you could smell this stuff it doesn't even resemble gasoline. Anyway, I used it back when we had emissions and it passed. I wasn't even close to passing using regular gas. I passed with an offroad H-pipe, headers, no smog pump. The motor was stock, but everything else basically isn't. This gas is about $6.40 a gallon here, but it WILL make a huge difference in your emissions. After VP found out that it was an awesome performance gas, they decided to distribute it to all of their stations. I can run 40 degrees of timing with it and no problem. Only problem might be is that you may end up using it all the time, LOL. I couldn't put the stock exhaust back on to pass because of the C6 tranny, it wouldn't fit around it. I have used this fuel to race for 5 years now, and it works great. Awesome throttle response, runs cool and since this motor cannot turn any RPMs, I can use the timing to my advantage to get it off the line. Here's the link to VP, give them a call. If you don't have a station near you, they can tell you who distributes it. Lots of companies buy this gas in bulk. Thankfully, I have a VP station right down here in Fort Lauderdale. http://www.vpracingfuels.com/index2.html?mgiToken=0C15B7C855D411A6CF

actually I think Illinois standards are 80 ppm, thus the 0.8
220 would be 2.2

but I could be wrong.

That VP website looks pretty promising but it's about a 5 hour car ride to the closest distrib though.

Many places supply this fuel from VP. They can tell you where to get it, all you need to do is call the region rep. They should have a phone number on their website. As far as the 80 PPM, that doesn't sound right. Standard is 220, and I think Cali is 170. If I could see your test results I could probably tell you what you need. If you have a basically stock motor, I don't see how you would have problems.

I have a 90 LX with all the internals stock....I have a 255LPH Fuel Pump and adjustable Pressure regulator, a K&N, and underdrive pulleys......the exhaust system with the exception of Summit Racing Mufflers was stock and extremely rusted out....smog pump was diconnected........I was pretty close, but I passed the sniffer on 87 octane gas.

Make sure you check you O2 sensors and give her a good tune-up. Put some good injector cleaner/fuel treatment or some octane booster in the tank and run the highest grade gas you can.....clean you intake and throttle sensors and get as much of the carbon out of it that you can. your off-road pipe will definately need to come off, but don't go too crazy with a cat system. Mine were pretty much gutted due to rust and still passed.

GOOD LUCK!!

kdog_x said:
220, damn I need to move to NC :rolleyes:

At least I wouldve been a little closer to passing.

Maybe I should go apply for a job at a test station here in Illinois :nice:
wow, where do you live in IL? I live in IL. Emissions aren't even a factor. You do not need to pass. Never checked...nothing at all. Dont have to go in. nothing. I feel special. Yeah i have no smog pump, long tubes, no cats. And i wont pass but it doesnt matter.

Va sounds nice to. Closest thing to a emisions test I've ever had was, A compliment on my 4.0 ( soonds good whats in there) followed by blink your lights, and blow the horn. Ha Ha Ha Maybe cause my friends runs the shop. Tried finding someone with connections to just let you pass. Sure would save time and labor.. :rolleyes:

Excess carbon monoxide is caused by running too rich (not enough oxygen to burn all the fuel). Likewise, hydrocarbons are unburned fuel and fuel/oil vapors.

Looks like your car is running way, way too rich. I'd definitely get a new distributor cap and rotor, check your plug wires, replace your plugs, clean out your injectors, replace your air filter, and turn down your fuel pressure if you can.

You should be concerned about this for a few reasons. Not only are you failing emissions, but you're polluting the air excessively, wasting money on unburned fuel, losing power due to running too rich, wearing out your engine faster due to washing the cylinder walls with fuel, etc.

Cue-Ball said:
Excess carbon monoxide is caused by running too rich (not enough oxygen to burn all the fuel). Likewise, hydrocarbons are unburned fuel and fuel/oil vapors.

Looks like your car is running way, way too rich. I'd definitely get a new distributor cap and rotor, check your plug wires, replace your plugs, clean out your injectors, replace your air filter, and turn down your fuel pressure if you can.

You should be concerned about this for a few reasons. Not only are you failing emissions, but you're polluting the air excessively, wasting money on unburned fuel, losing power due to running too rich, wearing out your engine faster due to washing the cylinder walls with fuel, etc.

Thats exactly what I was thinking. Cap & Rotor are fairly new. Plug wires are new, plugs could probably be replaced. Dont have an adjustable fuel regulator. Air filter is new.

I think my main problem is that I can't set the timing (did it by ear). The mark on the balancer is WAY off from where TDC should be (like 100 degrees). but from what I heard the balancer is keyed to only fit in one direction.

I tried to pull off the balancer last week to see if I could move it or not but I couldn't get that damn crankshaft nose bolt off (no air tools). Does anyone know -- does the balancer only fit one way or can it be put on wrong?

Sorry to double post, got one more thing to add.

When the car is at idle, sometimes it makes a wobbling sounding noise -- only at idle -- not in gear. Visual inspection of pulleys, etc. didn't show anything. You can feel it through the floorboards though. Think that this could this be related?