Finally Back in a Fox!!

stripped302

Nov 10, 2004
Shelby Twp, MI
hey guys finally back in a fox, a 100% rust free 84 gt out of california and moved on some mods real quick and now i have bunch of loose ends and the search function isn't helping a whole lot. I did a 5-lug by pulling a whole 8.8 out a 94 gt and then just using ranger rotors up front, well brakes work great but even if i'm in nuetral at full stop just sitting in my drive way if i push the brakes to the floor the car dies, is i hold the revs even a couple hundred rpms above idle and fully depress the brakes the car stays running:shrug:WIERD!!? also i pitched the e-brake handle and center console unknowingly and dont know where i can get atleast another handle, i think thanks to the search function got my questions answered on how to hook-up the e-brake but like stated i cant find another handle.

Next issue, car is constantly blowing heater cores even with the restrictor, where can i get a non a/c hvac box to make replacing the core much easier from now on, and while a 84 non a/c box work? the car did not have working a/c from the start and i cleaned up all remenants of the a/c system and air pump when i first got it.

last but not least what is the cheapest way to get a manual steering rack, flaming river is a nice kit but almost 500 bucks, just a tad steep with a baby due in may. thanks guys sorry for the long post but i need this car up and running properly before i dd it while i fix all the leaks in the wifes 04 discovery.

• Sponsors (?)

The brake booster may have a leak in it. When you step on the brakes it causes a vacuum leak making the car die at an idle. Try removing the vacuum line from the engine to the booster, plug it off and see it the car still dies when you step on the brakes.

I'm not sure if a pinto steering will fit. I know it bolts to the k-member the same way. Even if it will fit where are you gonna find a pinto rack.LOL

Racks...look for 78-79-80 Fairmont in the junkyards. Many had power steering and a few were manual--BUT make sure to get the shaft AND rack. Besides it's easier to just unbolt the shaft and pull it as an assembly, IMO. BTW the ones that didn't have power steering--some (many?) also had manual brakes. Always good to pull the adapter off of the firewall. Never know when you might need it. Fairmonts were good candidates for these. Most of the other fox body stuff had power brakes and power steering. SOME of the earlier Mustangs ('79-'80 and some '81's) also had manual brakes & steering-so keep an eye out for those. Look at the 4 cyl cars. Pinto stuff is different-will work with enough mods, but not worth the effort unless it's a full tube chassis drag car. Last resort-Parts stores. Last I checked a reman manual rack was $179 + core. Might be cheaper elsewhere.

Booster...the booster is probably done. Mine was. Same symptoms. Usually could hear it inside-but the engine was pretty quiet on mine, so I heard all kinds of noises and rattles.

Heater core. Pick one up from Ford-if it's still available. They're aluminum rather than copper/brass/lead. The parts store brass ones are garbage, IMO. Should be sold for scrap rather than replacement parts. I went through 2 or 3 of them and got sick of pulling the dash and bought one from Ford (or was it LRS?)...either way it was a Motorcraft core. Much better heat too. I kept the A/C heater box. Just left the evap in there and dealt with it. Where I live, A/C is mandatory. Not an option. At that time, AC did not work in that car...and it was black, had dark interior and sunroof. HOT in the summer...wish it had A/C but I knew nothing about A/C at the time. Everything was there too but one line.

Also my heater core was actually loose in the box-and if it moves around any, it'll crack the fittings. Last time I did one, I ended up actually replacing some of the packing around the core which tightened it up.

Junkyard thanks for the thorough post, a ton of help. so heres the part list i ordered from summit and some other places and some stuff i picked up. gonna have an awesome weekend:banana:

reman manual rack and flaming river shaft
booster and 94gt MC
holly double pumper 650cfm
water pump, radiator, and timing cover
pertronix hei distributor(harness and connectors for duraspark were shot, so was the duraspark)
ford racing 9mm wires and new plugs
holly electronic fuel pump(lobe on the cam for mechanical pump must be washed out)
got the seats out of the donor 94 gt that gave its 8.8 and disc brakes, i have power seats now with some sort of bolstering:D
373 with trac-loc rebuild
ford racing cobra clutch kit
tko t-5 with install kit and b&m short throw
ford racing 10.5 flywheel
ford racing cross member
ford racing shorties
mac h-pipe and mac pro-dumps
sumitumo htr's for the 94 gt 17in tri-bars
hatch struts and new lock cylinders all the way around
new motor and trans mounts
pads and rotors all around including new e-brake pads and ford racing e-brake cables (still cant find the handle)
few other misc items and other knick knacks from previous foxes, like shift knob, dress up stuff and what not are also going on