Roush First Mod???

SonicBlue281

Mar 17, 2007
My 02 SC is bone stock What is the most beneficial mod? Will you see any gains from an intake, I had a JLT in mind? What is a good upgrae from the sock intercooler?

Does anyone know the rwhp of a stock SC S281?

• Sponsors (?)

first few mods I'd do without adding boost...

catted x pipe,, CAI and 75mm throttle body. Now a JLT will not fit your car unless you have a series 4/5 blower, or the series 4 plenum kit for the series 1 and 2 cars. The plenum kit is $600 or so from haneymotorsport.com, and it increases the plenum size from 70mm, to 75mm. Other then that, your only cold air kit option for your car is a chicane ripp (which doesnt help power), or a after the maf kit such as a Tunable Induction or Amazon Racing. The intercooler will make a significant upgrade and gain you 30rwhp or so, but its not a simple bolt on procedure. You also will want to look at 3.55 or 3.73 gear ratio for the rear end to wake the car up.

You have the saleen brakes, but going fast also means handling it with good suspension components. The saleen stuff is nice, so its a mere adding to it what they didnt finish. Such as: Lower Control Arms, Panhard Bar/Watts Link, Subframe connectors (a must), Caster/Camber Plates (a must). This will make the car more predictable and more fun to drive. I'd recommend Griggs Racing or Maximum Motorsports when purchasing those parts.

Hope this helps you out, and its just a little advise from someone who's been there and done that with 2 S281's, and now a fox saleen.

My 02 SC is bone stock What is the most beneficial mod? Will you see any gains from an intake, I had a JLT in mind? What is a good upgrae from the sock intercooler?

Does anyone know the rwhp of a stock SC S281?

I have to say a set of 3.73 gears will be the best gain for the $$. I did the gears,chicane 66 mm pulley,255 lph fuel pump and a tune at the same time and it felt much quicker. Some full length subframe connectors really help in the corners also. I believe stock they are around 300 rwhp give or take a few. The series 2 is too small if your looking for anything over about 350rwhp. You are much better off upgrading the blower.

I am looking for a quarter mile car, without building the bottom end of the motor.

What is the difference in the gen 2 blower on my 2002, and the 2003/2004 blowers.

The Eaton II blower isn't very efficient, the Series IV is better, I would love to get me hands on a series V, but they are no longer produced. KB is the better way to go, but you need to be careful with boost with the stock bottom end, don’t over do it.

What intercooler do you guys suggest? Sorry for all the questions I am just really excited.

I am sure there are others out there but the only one I heard of is the Chicane, it sells for $600.00.....Don't apologize for your enthusiasm that is why the forums are here.

Saleen556, I disagree with the saleen blower not being able to make power past 350rwhp...I had it making 380rwhp on mine without an intercooler upgrade, without ported heads and without cams. If the port work and tune is good, you can get them to 400rwhp, and they will be reliable. Unfortunately from the experience quite a few of my KB friends have had, they might make more power, but atleast the eaton wont leave you stranded...

Saleen556, I disagree with the saleen blower not being able to make power past 350rwhp...I had it making 380rwhp on mine without an intercooler upgrade, without ported heads and without cams. If the port work and tune is good, you can get them to 400rwhp, and they will be reliable. Unfortunately from the experience quite a few of my KB friends have had, they might make more power, but atleast the eaton wont leave you stranded...

I am just speaking from my experience with the series 2. I only managed 335 rwhp with the smaller pulley. I have seen a few claims of 360-380 with the series 2 but I don't think they can be very efficient at that level. The series 4 from the 03-04 cars are much better and can make it to 400 rwhp I believe. I gave up on the series 2 and went with the KB 1.7 and there was no comparison. Don't know what you mean about being unreliable but I never had a problem with the 1.7 or the 2.6.

I had 1 friend go through 3 of the "updated" KB"s all leak oil, and 1 friend who is on his 2nd. Yet i've never seen an eaton leak or cause anyone any problems (i obviously know they dont make as much power). Porting the series 2 will make it more efficient, and the intercooler upgrade will definitely help. It cant support the "big" hp #'s a KB will, but if you want a 350-400rwhp car, there are cheaper, and sometimes more reliable ways to do it.

I am just speaking from my experience with the series 2. I only managed 335 rwhp with the smaller pulley. I have seen a few claims of 360-380 with the series 2 but I don't think they can be very efficient at that level. The series 4 from the 03-04 cars are much better and can make it to 400 rwhp I believe. I gave up on the series 2 and went with the KB 1.7 and there was no comparison. Don't know what you mean about being unreliable but I never had a problem with the 1.7 or the 2.6.

You believed right:D 400rwhp with bolt ons and a tune, who knows what it will do with longs tubes, cooling mods and cams....