Fixing my Car - Need suggestions on what to do next

red94fiveo

Apr 12, 2003
Wichita, KS
OK, so I'm kinda at a point where i'm running out of solutions/ideas on what could be wrong with my car. Heres where I'm at:

Rockers are adjusted and are OK
Timing is at 13*
fuel pressure is at 42 PSI w/ no vacuum
TP voltage is .985 at idle and 4.64 at WOT

The car idles and runs smoothly, but still shows very limited acceleration, its better than before, but not by much.

Here are the only ideas I have left:
re-gap plugs down to .040-.045"
check codes (no CE light)
check all engine grounds

After that I'm out of ideas. I'd buy a tweecer, but I don't think thats going to be the solution to my problem. I will have about $500 to spend in a week or two. At this point should I just take it to a shop? Please tell me any ideas anyone has. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

My idea is to talk to Ed. You still haven't said if you have done this or not. Do the free stuff first like plug gap and such. When you say it doesn't accelerate, does it miss or just stop pulling? If it stops pulling, did you install a new fuel pump? If so, maybe there is an issue there. Perhaps the "sock" is getting sucked into the pump...

u check your TPS sensor. a friend of mine changed his intake and then it would dog out everytime he got on it. i don't know if u checked it or not but thats my idea.

Paul - I emailed Ed again today. Last time he suggested the Tp voltage and the fuel pressure, so we'll see what he says this time.

Grady - I put my stock FPR back on and that didn't help.

Also, I have a Walbro 255lph FP, but I installed it and ran the car with it before installing everything else, so that shouldn't be the problem.

When I say it doesn't accelerate, it doesn't miss, it just doesn't pull.

UMM, well man you have tried almost everything i could think of except for the ground thing. Have you tried to move the timing around to different degrees or what, i don't know if it would help but if the cam is installed wrong maybe it would balance out somewhat? sounds stupid but ya never know. You don't have any serious vacuum leaks or anything do you? Have you tried running the car w/o the MAF or such as that, not without it but just unplugged

Don't know man,

Paul i am gonna have to be with you, everything that has been tried hasn't helped so i think it would kinda have to be the cam retarted seriously or something

Jason

O K on the fpr and good on the fact that it could not be the pump as it was fine before.

You put the cam in dot to dot?

I just don't know! Have you checked all of the big connectors on the various wire harness?

What about the plugs on the inj's?

Later
Grady

I'm with some of the others about the cam retard thing.

Been thinking about it and if I were you, before I tore it down to check the cam I would put the stock inj's, tb, & maf back on which would eleminate lots of stuff and it is not that much trouble to do.

With the new intake, are you sure you don't have a big v leak like a port you forgot to plug?

Later
Grady