Flex-A-Form Composite leaf spring install problem

I finally got around to attempting the install on my Flex-A-Form composite leafs today, despite receiving them several months ago. Disassembly of the first side was a snap - surprisingly. I knew, of course, this meant I was doomed. :)

springs.jpg

Top spring - stock, bottom spring - FaF. I'm attempting to use the Prothane heavy duty shackle kit from Mustang Depot. The gold bolts are from it, the brown one is the stock front.

As you can see, in the FaF, the stock front bolt fits in the rear and the new rear bolt fits in the front. I'd suspect the shackle kit was wrong, except that the stock spring is the opposite - the new shackle bolt fits in the rear, and the front bolt (obviously) fits in the front. The interior diameter of the rear is 1/2" and the front is 3/5".

Am I being retarded here, or did Flex-A-Form reverse the bushings? My first thought was I had the springs backwards, but looking at them, I don't see how that could be the case ?

FaF's limited instructions include 5 DONTs, one of which is "do not remove spring eye bushing"

Any other Flex-A-Form users have any problems?

I'm also hoping the shackle movement is enough to let me fit these springs on, they end up being a bit longer than stock ...

thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

The Prothane shackles are made around the stock dimensions of the sleeve.

If the sleeve is to small on those FAF springs, either change the sleeve itself, or drill it out.

Also check the diameter of the front eye bolt. If it's smaller, just use the sleeves on the rear in the front!

I ended up doing the obvious, despite being recommended against in the instructions - I popped the bushings out and swapped them, fits like a champ.

I'm not sure why they say don't do this, a quick google search found quite a few people removing the urethane bushings from the flex-a-forms and replacing them with aluminum bushings.

Of course, vacillating on this all day meant I only got one side done, so I can't get a test-drive impression yet. These things seem *very* firm - even laterally. My old springs were slopping around all over, so I can't wait to try them out.

Yes, PLEASE post your initial driving impressions when you have them. I would like one more testimonial before I pull the trigger on these. ANd what shock absorber you are using... did FAF recommend a particular shock? Some harsh stiction KYB's could erase your fiberglass benefits.

Sorry, I didn't get around to driving it until *yesterday* due to work/family scheduling - and even then, I wasn't able to take it for a very long spin. :(

It seems to me that the rear is more firmly located than before, and the whole car feels more stable/predictable. It also seems less like a truck going over bumps.

It's tough to do any performance driving with a driver's seat with a bent frame. I've got to get off my posterior and order some new seats. I'm also running stock wheels and seriously worn out tires, the other thing I need to take care of.

I *am* running new KYB Gas-A-Justs.

Were these purchased direct from Flex-a-form , or if not who?? As long as I'm asking what is the price in them??
One of the things I've read over the years, concerning glass springs, is a Need(?) to encapsulate them with a sealing coat of some sort. Any information with this??
Thanks for posting, I've had a back burner interest in these for a long time. Its nice to see someone in real life using them.