Flowmasters

jrc_03_gt

Jan 1, 2004
Flowmasters. Loose torque??

Is it possible to add flowmasters and loose torque? Maybe its just me but after I had the stock mufflers replaced with flowmasters american thunder 40 series, it seems to accelerate different. Its almost as if it lost some quickness. I also have a k&n air filter installed. :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

You might laugh at this one, but I've heard it's happened before. Are you sure they didn't install them backwards?? That would create excessive backpressure and cause a loss of power for sure. The sad part is they're even labeled and some people are still dumb enough to put them on backwards ... they were only meant to flow in one direction only. Even without the dummy "inlet" and "outlet" stamps on the case you can clearly see how they have to go on by looking inside them. Flows aren't THE best flowing muffler out there, but they are better than stock ... especially soundwise. :nice:

when i got mine weilded in i felt a total difference. i felt like i gained alot of torque down low and a little more hp up high. but i also had a few mods already done. o/r xpipe, Steeda pullies, t/a, cai, coils, wires. Flows :hail2:

Trublu01 said:
I went from the dealer to Meineke and had them welded, now they are matched up with MAC LT and O/R X and very loud. IF there was any loss in power, the sound makes up for it.

I did the same dealer to muffler shop. I just wanted to know if this is a common result after changing mufflers. Maybe I will disconnect the bettery to reset the computer. How long should I disconnect it for to reset it?

RacerGT said:
Do you have any proof to back your claim? Because if you don't, your post is worthless.

this is my 2nd mustang gt. My 1st one was a 98 gt and I bought it new also. I love driving my mustangs, beleive me ther is a noticeable difference. It seems as if it does not run as hard going through the gears now. But I also noticed I can run each gear for a longer period now. The shifts can go longer now.

jrc_03_gt said:
this is my 2nd mustang gt. My 1st one was a 98 gt and I bought it new also. I love driving my mustangs, beleive me ther is a noticeable difference. It seems as if it does not run as hard going through the gears now. But I also noticed I can run each gear for a longer period now. The shifts can go longer now.

Well, I was talking to cantthinkofexcuses up there...

But, there should be no power loss. The stock exhaust is very restrictive. Just give it time for the mufflers to break in properly.

RacerGT said:
Well, I was talking to cantthinkofexcuses up there...

But, there should be no power loss. The stock exhaust is very restrictive. Just give it time for the mufflers to break in properly.

This 03 only has 900 miles on it.

I might reset the computer. In my owners manual it tells you how to reset or re-Teach the computer by disconnecting the battery and having the car idle untill it warms up all the way then turn on air condidtioner for 1 min at idle then it says to drive for 10 miles.

cantthinkofname said:
Flows = :hail2:

there was a guy on here that had a 96-98 (i forget) and had flows welded in... went to a dyno and lost 5-7 hp :-\ or so

That would have been me. After the headswap on my '98 I dynoed 248/292, after welding in flows, 241/280 (I think that was the tq value, don't remember for sure). But definitely felt it driving away from the muffler shop. :mad: