Flywheel Choice, Balancer Choice, and Tranny Advice..

AnthonyR23

Sep 8, 2006
Ontario
Thanks guys for all the help with this build!

-Probe Industries 347 Stroker Kit with 3.40 stroke, 5.315 rod, and the 1.175 compression height piston.
-TFS Twisted Wedge Track Heat Cylinder Heads
-TFS R Series Intake
-Custom Cam *
-75mm Throttle Body
-80mm Mass air
-36 lbs injectors
-full fuel kit, including rails, pump, lines, and tank.. mines leaking.. so going for this kit.

any thoughts on whether my t5 will handle it.. and advice on balancer and flywheel.

• Sponsors (?)

not sure about oz. for balancer or flywheel or teeth.. need to be educated a bit.. would like to use the same clutch cause I just replaced it last year and it has alot of meat on it.. just going to get an adjustable cable unit for it. oh and I have 4.10 gears.. thats all I can think of for now.. thanks guys.. aiming for under $10. if possible.

Oh, and guys, before I go ahead and order all these top end components... will this setup pass an emissions test... with smog pump and two new hi-flow cats?? likely or definitely not... ??

That rotating assembly can be balanced to 28oz with no problem.
Get a well made damper... if you go cheap, chances are you'll need to rebuild all over again. I like/use Romac, but there are other good quality dampers.

Your transmission choice can be determined by the car weight, gears, application, rpm.

would I have to go with the street heads, or would the track heat pass, and how much difference would the intake manifold have on the emissions... track heat? r series? street?, what about cam choice and emissions?

Oh, and guys, before I go ahead and order all these top end components... will this setup pass an emissions test... with smog pump and two new hi-flow cats?? likely or definitely not... ??

I thought you just posted you'll have a custom camshaft? Tell the camshaft grinder what you're doing... it will pass emissions!
Who's your camshaft company?

That's great.. so the camshaft really has a big impact on emissions.. more than even the heads and intake I guess..... so will the place I am getting the cam made know based on the components, how aggressive I can go, but still emissions passable..

That's great.. so the camshaft really has a big impact on emissions.. more than even the heads and intake I guess..... so will the place I am getting the cam made know based on the components, how aggressive I can go, but still emissions passable..

I have no idea.
I would think the person designing your camshaft will have a much better idea what you should use to make the most performance and pass emissions.
My camshaft company is Camshaft Innovations. After talking with me, Jay (owner) new where I wanted to be with my setup, and had suggestions on changes that would make more power.
Performance is in the "combination"... not in a bunch of slapped together parts that won't work well together.

I suggest you get with your camshaft maker and discuss where you want to be, and what it will take to get there?

Just to let you know what's going on, I chose a 347 kit for my bottom end, and have been asking lots of questions and doing research about the top end.. mainly using this site.. have got lots of great responses which have helped me choose the parts.. not just slapping them together.. only variable is the cam, which hopefully will be built to match the parts.. while keeping emissions like you have said in mind.. my main question really is... with the parts I have chose with the help of many.. for the 347... is it possible to pass emissions and still have a well matched cam to the parts I chose... just wanted to get some advice on that.. thanks for the info and the flywheel and balancer though..

oh and I have pretty much got the engine torn down.. have probably about 8 hours of work... and that's a good estimate even though it will probably only take 4. I am rebuilding what I can myself.. anyone have a similar setup with a custom cam.. and emissions standards??>

oh and I have pretty much got the engine torn down.. have probably about 8 hours of work... and that's a good estimate even though it will probably only take 4. I am rebuilding what I can myself.. anyone have a similar setup with a custom cam.. and emissions standards??>

Your rotating assembly is good, and has no bearing on emissions.
Your EFI stuff is good, and has no bearing on emissions.
The cylinder head you chose (but not bought?) may work, but I have no idea... I'm not your camshaft grinder. There is a heck of a lot more to a cylinder head than just that hunk of metal. The springs, the valves, the seat angle, port, bowl, minimum cross section, runner length, volume... the list goes on. These things are what the camshaft grinder needs to know... these are the things that either "tie" the hands or free the hands of the camshaft design. This is what I mean by "slapped together" parts.

On a side note... you are having your block cleaned, fluxed, bored, honed, aligned and square decked as a minimum... right?

yep, definitely having the machining done on the block.. see everyone has said go with the r series intake on the 347, which I tend to agree with if there was no such thing as emissions and if I could just choose the components to match, eg. heads and cam. but haven't heard much about emissions.. and I know that the key is cam choice.. I emailed ed curtis about the cam.. and will talk to him about my choices in manifold and heads.. on the 347 keeping emissions in mind.. I'm sure others who have seen my posts know I'm not intending on just slapping this stuff together.. and I know cylinder heads aren't just a hunk of metal.. I just want the most out of my 347... an aggressive street/maybe strip occassional driver.. but the key is... emissions... and I want to tune with the tweecer rt and some wideband o2's.. That is my goal for this build.. I want it to be strong.. but I want to baby it.. and learned everything I can about tuning..

I did a bit more reading and think the r series will be fine, with the 347 since it needs more air anyways... but when it comes to the heads.. will I have a problem with those track heat twisted wedge tfs heads and emissions...

I did a bit more reading and think the r series will be fine, with the 347 since it needs more air anyways... but when it comes to the heads.. will I have a problem with those track heat twisted wedge tfs heads and emissions...

If Ed is doing your camshaft, Ed is the person you should be asking. As stated earlier, "what you have, what you don't have" determines where Ed can go with the camshaft to ensure it will pass emissions.
Ed will also inform you on your compression ratio. That can be manipulated by the camshaft also... and has some/little to do with the amount of emissions.