Flywheel help...

krtw

Sep 18, 2009
Oregon
Installing a stock replacement flywheel, on the original flywheel there is a slug inside of one of the holes next to one of the dowel pins....slug is roughly the same diameter as the dowls. Does this need to be removed from the original flywheel and installed into the new flywheel??

• Sponsors (?)

All you need is the 3 dowels...I'm thinking that slug is something to balance that particular flywheel...

What brand is it ??? what balance ???

The one that I removed was the OEM 50 oz imbalance.

The new flywheel is Ford Racing OEM replacement, same 50 oz imbalance.

I installed the dowels by pounding them in....I read some people pressed them in and others "lightly" pounded them in place.....they went in pretty hard so the pounding was not very light....hopefully that did not warp the flywheel.

You should be fine...You'd have to get some crazy beating on flywheel to warp it..

I'd say that slug is how it was balanced...sorta like they do with cranks...prolly needed to add weight to it...

I think I screwed up..... Dowel pins don't fit the pressure plate holes, feels like the dowel pins are too big. I think I mushroomed the pins when I installed them. I believe the pressure plate should just easily slide in to place on the dowel pins....right? I wish I would have checked before installing the flywheel. Of all the searching I have done on the internet with regard to this issue I have found NOTHING, nobody has EVER experinced this???

I don't think the dowel pin issue was that big of a deal after all.....Just the ends were deformed from the install. I used some sand paper and did some material removal on the ends, should not affect alignment because where it normally sits on the pins was not affected by my brute force dowel pin installation..... Pressure plate installed and torqued down. NEXT...

Whenever I take a flywheel to the Clutch Exchange to get it resurfaced, they always pound the dowels back in with a hammer. So I think that is an ok method. Nothing wrong with sanding off the ends.

Kurt