Ford says no way...

The Falcon doesn't use the D2C platform. The Falcon is slated to go to a new LH Drive Orion platform in a few years.

Metroplex ??? first off, I never mentioned anything about the Falcon platform using the D2C platform ? in fact, I never mentioned a single word concerning the Falcon platform at all...I clearly stated in my post that the D2C platform cannot be stretched out into a 4 door sedan nor into a wagon...As for the Interceptor concept ?? according to the latest Ford press release ?? the Interceptor concept will be based off the Mustang's rear wheel drive architecture as a 4 door sedan however there is no official word as to whether or not this concept will ever see production

• Sponsors (?)

Here's a copy of the latest Ford press release putting to rest any rumors about expanding the Mustang line and also discusses it's plans for the Interceptor concept vehicle...STATEMENT - FORD: “NO PLANS FOR EXPANDED MUSTANG LINE”

Featured Stories
Press Releases

DEARBORN, Mich., Dec. 15 – Ford Motor Company today made clear that recent media speculation concerning an expanded Mustang line – including a sedan and wagon model to be sold in global markets – is not true. Mustang is an icon and will continue in its current form: a unique, two-door, rear-wheel drive, 2+2 performance car.

At the 2007 North American International Auto Show, Ford will unveil a four-door, rear-wheel-drive concept car. The concept, known as “The Interceptor”, is based on the Mustang’s rear-wheel-drive architecture but it is not a Mustang and no production plans have been announced. Additional information on the Ford rear-drive concept will be available December 31, 2006.

Several people have seen LH-drive Falcons with a MI manufacturer plate driving around. I know it is a long-stretch, as I have seen a LH drive Mk 2 Focus ST on I-94 with a MI manuf plate, but the Falcon is Ford's best bet for a DCX LX-platform competitor model.

Ford Australia already has the Falcon, but the exterior styling, safety, features, etc... have to be tweaked to fit the US market to avoid the Pontiac GTO fiasco. There's a station wagon Falcon, UTE Falcon (pickup truck / El-Camino thing), and the regular sedan Falcon along with the FPV GT and FPV GT-P Falcons.

However, a typically radical concept car would garner more attention at something like the NAIAS than a production car :p

If the demand is high enough, I expect to see a LH drive Falcon hit the US market by 2010.

If this aussie Falcon platform you speak of ?? is to only take the place of the Panther platform ie Crown Vic ?? then fine I don't have a problem with it..However on the other hand ?? if it's to replace the current Mustang D2C chassis ? then I don't want any part of it whatsoever and here's why ? The Mustang's D2C platform is not even 2 years old yet, it's also much stiffer and improved over the last generation's platform and the last thing I'd want on a Mustang ? is a platform (chassis) which is nearly going on 50 years old and sure you can claim all you want about the Falcon platform being updated and improved over the years but never the less ? were still talking about a 50 year old outdated and ancient chassis replacing the very fresh and still very young D2C platform in which BTW is also the Mustang's most durable, advanced platform to date ?? and IMHO ? Ford would be taking a very huge step backwards if it were to scrap D2C in favor of replacing it with a 50 year old relic...:shrug: On the other hand if Ford were to somehow use just the Falcon body structure and then perhaps adapt it upon the current D2C chassis ? Ford could then base their rear wheel drive sedans, wagons while at the same time ? continue it's use for the Mustang and for other rear wheel drive coupes as well...