Front Bumper removal...need some concrete answers

I mucked up my front bumper of my 02 GT the other day and I need to take it in for a sanding and re-paint. The shop said they would charge less if I took the bumper off myself.

So, I looked around for some info on removing the bumper and I have a few questions:

* Are there some sort of rivets that have to be broken to take the bumper off?

* Are there a couple of bolts that are almost to impossible to get off (you have bend back the bumper)

* Will I have trouble getting it back on? ie: broken clips, rivets, those "difficult bolts"

* Is there an idiot proof tutorial somewhere that will show me how to do this step by step.

* For $100, should I just get them to do it?

Thanks for you help!

• Sponsors (?)

No money for that at the moment...I am probably gonna trade in my mustang when I can find and 03 that has the options I want, that hasn't been beat up on (I want to get rid of my auto tranny) I will consider a bumper change on my next one.

I will probably get a Chilton book, but if somebody knows the answers to my questions...post away!

Hi Ric:

This is what I can remember:

Remove the headlights by lifiting the two metal tabs behind each light and un hooking the wires

Unscrew all of the plastic screws around the grill and the rad cover.

Remove the plastic pins underneath the bumper by the fog lights. You can lift them off with a screwdriver or pliers. This will be the most difficult part to replace...even the body shops have trouble with these.

Unscrew the screws that attach the bumper to the fenderwell on each side. You will have to turn the steering wheel to get a good angle

Going through the fenderwell (around where you unscrewed the fenderwell screws), put your hand behind the bumper and feel around for two long threaded screws. These are fixed to the bumper and held to the body with bolts. Remove the two bolts with a ratchet (I can't remember the size). Repeat for the other side. You may find this part difficult...just be patient.

The bumper should come off.

I think I covered everything. It is very simple actually. When you are done you will think it was no big deal! Just remember that the bumper is very flexible and you can bend it a bit! You may also want to get a grill delete kit while you are at it...

Poopie D

Thanks a lot mate!

Everything was very easy... Haynes showed some drilling but that's not true for 2000's... I removed the bolts behind the splash-shield using a 11mm... Thanks a lot for your help... Next time I'll put on a grille delete kit... I've seen two 2001's with the kit last week and I really like it.

Ric...