front crank seal: which side of timing cover is it installed from?

i have an 88 5.0 in my fastback and its been leaking through the front oil/crank seal. just for confirmation, is the felpro seal installed from the inside or outside? right now, i can see the round spring that goes around the rubber seal. can someone confirm if this is the correct orientation?

i thought the daper might not be installed all the way but i cant get it on any further with the installer tool.

tomorrow, i'll remove the damper, clean it for any debris, and try to reinstall it

• Sponsors (?)

5.0L front crank seal: which side of timing cover is it installed from?

i have an 88 5.0 in my fastback and its been leaking through the front oil/crank seal. just for confirmation, is the felpro seal installed from the inside or outside? right now, i can see the round spring that goes around the rubber seal. can someone confirm if this is the correct orientation?

i thought the daper might not be installed all the way but i cant get it on any further with the installer tool.

tomorrow, i'll remove the damper, clean it for any debris, and try to reinstall it

It installs from the outside of the timing cover. You will see when you remove the old one. It goes in one way. There is a shoulder on the seal that contacts the front of the timing cover when installed. The spring on the seal you speak of should be on the inside of the cover.

Ford has made small block timing covers that have the seal intalled both ways. Annoying.

The rule for seals like this is that the lip of the seal that contacts the rotating part faces towards the oil that you are trying to keep inside. Rear axle seals install in the same orientation. Same for grease seals on your front rotors/hubs.