Fuel Gauge problem...sending unit?

I've got a 2000 mustang GT, and recently the gas gauge in the car will sometimes not activate after starting the car, or other times it will move up and show the fuel level during start up but while I'm driving the car, the fuel gauge will drop to zero and the low fuel indicator will come on. I am thinking the fuel sending unit may have gone bad and need replacing. Is this a hard part to replace, or is it something easy to get to that I can replace myself? I have a floor jack, jackstands and a garage to do the work in, as well as plenty of tools, but if it is major pain to get to, I'll just take it in to a shop for the repair.

Anyone have an idea how difficult it is to replace? what is the normal part cost to replace it?

Lord Warlock

• Sponsors (?)

that definitely sounds like either a bad ground or the sending unit.. i had the exact same problem with my jeep; they replaced the sending unit and now it's fine. as far as the difficulty; i really duno... brought it into a shop while they were doing maitenance on my 4WD