Fuel Fuel line routing question..

limp

wrap a little cheese around it and its a done
Oct 4, 2020
Florida
Changing over from single exhaust to dual on my 83 mustang..
Had to change over the brake lines and wondering if the fuel lines route differently at the fuel tank with the Fuel Injected cars??
While setting the rear tailpipe on the pass side, it seems like the fuel lines are a bit close??
Tried to find some pics online but nothing came up that I could use..
Fuel tanks seem to have the same basic sizing and the hole in the " high " side seems to be the same in all of the fox bodies
Any help here..... TY

• Sponsors (?)

V8 cars the fuel lines fun down the passenger side until the footboard for the rear seat. At this point they turn towards the trans tunnel and run down the passenger side of that. From the end of the trans tunnel I believed they run on the bottom of the floor pan up to the top of the trunk floor between the shocks. One then heads over to the outlet of the fuel filter which is hung to the passenger side of the center of the rear end. The other one makes its way over to the outlet of the fuel pump hanger. The vent for the fuel tank has a plastic lines that follows this same route to get up to the charcoal canister.

Did that off memory so I may be a little off in a couple spots but that’s the just of it.

V8 cars the fuel lines fun down the passenger side until the footboard for the rear seat. At this point they turn towards the trans tunnel and run down the passenger side of that. From the end of the trans tunnel I believed they run on the bottom of the floor pan up to the top of the trunk floor between the shocks. One then heads over to the outlet of the fuel filter which is hung to the passenger side of the center of the rear end. The other one makes its way over to the outlet of the fuel pump hanger. The vent for the fuel tank has a plastic lines that follows this same route to get up to the charcoal canister.

Did that off memory so I may be a little off in a couple spots but that’s the just of it.
I forgot about the inline fuel filter with FI cars.... It must be a bit different than a carb car...
TY.....

Has anybody else gone from factory single exhaust to dual?
Trying to fit in the right side exhaust pipe today with challenges?
1. right side tail pipe actually pushes on the rubber fuel lines, from the metal lines to the fuel tank, as I push it up where it needs to go.

2. had to change the brake lines to 87-93 lines ( cars is an 83) for the right side exhaust hanger to fit, do i need to update the fuel lines too? I assume they will be different at the engine compartment for Fuel Injection...
Were any carbureted cars equipped with dual exhaust from Ford??
Thanks for any help or pictures...

Last edited:
Were any carbureted cars equipped with dual exhaust from Ford??

Yes, as far as the area you're referring to.

My factory carb'ed '85 came with a quasi-dual exhaust setup. From the y-pipe back, it was a true dual exhaust system. I'll try to take a look tonight at the exhaust pipes where they route around the fuel tank.

Reactions: 1 user
85 GT.. Thanks for responding..
85 cars have a 2 into 1 into 2 exhaust.. I see that Classic makes a specific fuel/vent line for 85.. One would think this would solve my quandary?
I edited my post #5, Problem seems to be fuel lines only, From what I can see they need to be routed differently to work,, The loop in the exhaust that goes over the rear axle hits them.....
Looking more for a pic showing if the 85 fuel line routing goes into the tunnel, like the newer brake lines do, instead of down he frame rail

On another note any help getting onto 4 eyed? I can get on but the forum is some weird format I can't make work??

Last edited:
It will not let me into the forum... I get a strange format of everything on the left side of the page in blue lettering...??

IMG_1930.jpeg

While no 1980’s Mustang, I added dual to my 73 and encountered the same problem. By chance, I was at a local pick a part and I found this line insulation of a GM vehicle, and it fit just right on a 3/8” EFI fuel line. It keeps my fuel line from the 2.5” exhaust pipe. Works for me.

Funny, as I found nothing about this on the internet or on any of the suppliers video's.. While there was plenty of info about re routing the brake line and actual kits to do it with in this same area due to the addition of the right side exhaust pipe..... Based on what I am encountering I would of thought that there would be alot of youtube fixes??
Thanks for the help and pics on here everyone....

Here is a pic of what I am talking about. The exhaust pipe is not hooked up and sits up 2-3 inches higher, so you can see it is not going to work with these fuel lines...
DSCF1427.JPG
DSCF1428.JPG

85 GT, do your fuel lines feed into the engine compartment like in my pic? The clamp in the middle of the pic holds the rubber line to it, which then turns 90 degrees towards the front of the car to the fuel pump..
DSCF1429.JPG

85 GT, do your fuel lines feed into the engine compartment like in my pic? The clamp in the middle of the pic holds the rubber line to it, which then turns 90 degrees towards the front of the car to the fuel pump..
I'll look at that today.

I tried to see my fuel line back by the rear axle, but couldn't get a decent viewing angle on it.

And what browser are you using to try to get to FEP? Maybe clearing the FEP cookie might reset things and help it work?

I'll look at that today.

I tried to see my fuel line back by the rear axle, but couldn't get a decent viewing angle on it.

And what browser are you using to try to get to FEP? Maybe clearing the FEP cookie might reset things and help it work?
Hey, appreciate your help . Classic lines builds a 85 GT only line, but they have not been able to answer my questions
The picture of it they show does not look much different than what mine looks like and the front of the line in the engine compartment looks completely different.. so I have been thinking of a plan B...

I might cut the fuel line where it goes UP the frame ( where the rear axle goes up and down) and run the two lines ( fuel and return) in rubber on the bottom of the frame rail with some hanger clips of some sort... Trying to figure this out without it looking cheesy or half a$$ed.....
Was thinking of cutting the fuel line more towards the front of the car and attaching/running a longer braided line with AN fittings up in the tunnel, but that might be plan C if this does not work...

Plan D is putting the single exhaust back in it........