FUEL System Cleaning?

stangboy35

Mar 6, 2003
SUNNY FLORIDA
my 1999 GT has 57,000 miles and runs fine (or so i think so). It does seem to lack a little pep. I have been to several auto repair places including the dealer who says that the Fuel system needs a two part Cleaning.
1- Throttle body
2- Fuel injectors

My question is not about the injectors..that seems ok at $79.00, but they are trying to talk me into cleaning the throttle body for $60. Isn't this just where I can spray some cleaner into the intake and clean it myself?

Another question... should I clean the fuel injectors even if the car seems ok. I kinda want to do it as a preventative measure.
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

stangboy35 said:
my 1999 GT has 57,000 miles and runs fine (or so i think so). It does seem to lack a little pep. I have been to several auto repair places including the dealer who says that the Fuel system needs a two part Cleaning.
1- Throttle body
2- Fuel injectors

My question is not about the injectors..that seems ok at $79.00, but they are trying to talk me into cleaning the throttle body for $60. Isn't this just where I can spray some cleaner into the intake and clean it myself?

Another question... should I clean the fuel injectors even if the car seems ok. I kinda want to do it as a preventative measure.
Thanks

DONT CLEAN THE TB! it has a anti slug coating and does NOT need to be cleaned! it will ruin it...as far as the injectors..I hear peeps swear its the best maitnence the dealers have ever done for them..

9646gt said:
DONT CLEAN THE TB! it has a anti slug coating and does NOT need to be cleaned! it will ruin it...as far as the injectors..I hear peeps swear its the best maitnence the dealers have ever done for them..

I assume you meant "SLUDGE" ....not slug right?

Ok..you convinced me of the Throttle body. I tried to look online for information about this coating in the throttlebody, but can't seem to find any facts or technical data about it. Why would the FORD dealer want to clean the throttle body if it knows about the coating?

stangboy35 said:
I assume you meant "SLUDGE" ....not slug right?

Ok..you convinced me of the Throttle body. I tried to look online for information about this coating in the throttlebody, but can't seem to find any facts or technical data about it. Why would the FORD dealer want to clean the throttle body if it knows about the coating?
mine has a sticker right on it..remove the air intake hose and you should see it :nice:

Maybe they mean spraying in through the throttle body with something like seafoam to clean the plenum and intake. After 90k miles, my stock plenum was pretty nasty, but the throttle body just had some minor carbon buildup. Never cleaned it and it was still running great. Cleaned it with a new dragon plenum.