Future competition for mustang

• Sponsors (?)

They canned the Camero a few months ago. The new Challenger is coming, but not for a few more years, if they keep it looking like the prototype it will rock! The 340hp Hemi Charger? Well, I have had a few runs against the local salesman (Dodge Dealer) and he always goes home with his tail tucked. They have a few more HP but I guess the weight and the execution of the design did not translate as well as they had hoped.

nbk13nw said:
They canned the Camero a few months ago. The new Challenger is coming, but not for a few more years, if they keep it looking like the prototype it will rock! The 340hp Hemi Charger? Well, I have had a few runs against the local salesman (Dodge Dealer) and he always goes home with his tail tucked. They have a few more HP but I guess the weight and the execution of the design did not translate as well as they had hoped.

The article is dated august 4th and it has been talked about quite a bit on other forums. It seems that their will be a camaro in the near future.

I'm aware that the camaro was "canned" but this article is fairly recent so maybe they changed their minds or it was never really canned. I'm sure its a few years off production just like the challenger but 09 there might be some good compeition.
On a side note, I couldn't see the camaro being able to compete with the cobra. Considering the hp they would need to beat it is in the corvette terroritory and they won't make a camaro that's advertised with higher hp than the vette.

The camaro was put on the back burner as GM focuses (sp?) on correcting each brands identity.

Pontiac will have the GTO (they are no longer limited production) The general hopes that wil tie over 'average joe' until they can fix the company.

The Dodge Challanger is slated for a 2010 launch and it will be totally Bad-Ass, except for the Automatic transmission.

The mustang has no challengers until at lest early 2009 as far as Price / Performance go, save for the GTO.

When you have nothing to sell today, you sell "future products" and do your best to create FUD - Fear Uncertainty and Doubt.

Normally a car company would NEVER tell the public about a car that is 3 to 4 years away from introduction. They would not do this because customers could delay purchasing one of its current products.

However when you have nothing to compete with the Mustang, the marketing tactic becomes to pre-announce a product that is 3 or 4 years out to try to stop customers from buying a Mustang today and instead wait for your "far superior" product.

If a product is 3 or 4 years away, as they say in the computer business it's "vaporware". GM is supposedly going to have a Camaro concept at the 06 Detroit auto show. Whether a new Camaro ever makes it to production is another story as GM is not allowed to use the Camaro name until after 2010 (unless it rebuilds its Quebec assembly plant). So again, the primary purpose of any Camaro concept at the 06 Detroit show is to try to stop people from buying Mustangs today.

Of couse by the time 2009 rolls around the new Mustang will be in its 5th model year and the Mustang will be improved over what Ford is selling today. But Ford won't tell us about any of the future improvements (other than the GT500) because it could cause Mustang customers delay their purchase.

It's sort of like running for political office as the challenger. You can promise anything until you get elected.

The GTO has great performance, but the looks of the car are hideous. As for the others, we will enjoy our stangs and wait. I am suprised that the other American car companies are lagging behind on this one. Only thing left that would shock us is an import to come out with a muscle car clone.....that would be funny.

Ya it seems this is just a tactic to keep gm and dodge faithful from buying mustangs since they have nothing to offer in that category. Of course the thing I never understodd is if GM actually did plan on building the camaro why are they keeping it so secret? Anyways, I thought this info was somewhat interesting because it gives the camaro guys a little more hope lol

If they do make a new Camero and drop in the Corvette LS1 we're all dead meat! :D

Should this come to pass, keep this term tucked safley underneath your belt..

"Blowers"!! :D

bbqz28 said:
Here's an old article on the Fbody for the last 20+ years. It's a long read, but sums up everything.

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/0409phr_camaro/index.html

As far as a new V8 for a future Camaro goes, they'd probably have a 5.3 V8 and the 6.0 LS2 with 400 hp. I've heard also that a 450+ V8 would be available as a special production Camaro.

Do you honestly think they would advertise more hp in a camaro than a vette? That's what I don't understand about, people seem to think because they got the vette engine now they will again. Remember, the camaro used to cost more than the mustang so I don't think gm will do that again if they do indeed bring it back. I could see a 400 hp power camaro but it would probably be advertised as like 375 or something.

Klay said:
Do you honestly think they would advertise more hp in a camaro than a vette? That's what I don't understand about, people seem to think because they got the vette engine now they will again. Remember, the camaro used to cost more than the mustang so I don't think gm will do that again if they do indeed bring it back. I could see a 400 hp power camaro but it would probably be advertised as like 375 or something.

Keep in mind that by the time the camaro makes production (2009 + ?) the standard HP on the vette will be in the 450-500 range. Z06's pushing 550-600 HP. The GTO has 400 now and look how cheap those are going for...

Don't worry guys! We need to think of who is creating the Camaro design, GM! Don't forget of all their "beautiful" models they have came up with lately: GTO, Charger.. Knowing GM they'll probably create a new mini-van and slap the camaro name on it!

The only way I would be nervous of a future camaro is if they bought that one kid's design that he created and built their platform around that.

351CJ said:
Whether a new Camaro ever makes it to production is another story as GM is not allowed to use the Camaro name until after 2010 (unless it rebuilds its Quebec assembly plant).

First you said it was 2017, now it's 2010...

GM owns the Camaro nameplate...not the CAW, not Quebec. GM/Chevrolet can use it on whatever they want and whenever they want.

05V6inMD said:
Even if the Camaro was going forward, the current design is based on a front wheel drive platform...

And what platform would this be? Just curious.

lethaljay said:
Don't worry guys! We need to think of who is creating the Camaro design, GM! Don't forget of all their "beautiful" models they have came up with lately: GTO, Charger..

Yeah, I hate that Chevy Charger...or is it a Pontiac? Hmm, that don't sound right, maybe it's a Buick or Saturn? Well...whatever it is, I know it ain't a Dodge.

GOLDENPONY said:
Do you really think GM is going to spend the energy and money to develop a 400-500 HP Camaro with $5 a gallon gas looming in the future? Maybe a Cobalt Z/28.

Gas prices aren't stopping Ford from building the Mustang...and a lot of people from buying them. The M6 LS2 GTO's (400hp) EPA rating is the same as the '05 GT's...M6 LS2 Vette (400hp) is 1mpg better city and 3mpg better highway.

If the new Mustang was a complete flop, GM wouldn't be working on a 5th gen Camaro. Mustang sales #'s has proved that there is still a pretty big market for RWD performance coupes and GM needs something to compete with the Mustang (and future Challenger)...or at the very least try to compete with the Mustang (sales, not performance).