gas mileage per tank help

• Sponsors (?)

Dayum, some of you all are getting awesome mileage. I baby my car and do about a 50/50 mix of highway and city driving and get about 200 per tank. WTF. I'm seeing 240, 270, 290? Thats really good. I just changed my fuel filter and plugs. I hardly ever go above 3 grand and try to cruise between 1500-2000 grand:shrug:

I get around 18mpg these days, but my trips are all 8 miles or less, on a cold engine, in cold weather. In the summer, when I was doing a lot more highway driving, I could get up to 27mpg.

If you have aftermarket gauges maybe your reaching "E" before it's actually empty?? when you fill up from empty is 15ish gallons? i would try injection cleaning and all that good stuff. i have a bone stock 03 other than a intake/exhaust and i get a solid 230 city at least. closer to 300 if it's all highway. i also run premium b/c it burn cleaner/ more efficiently. it only costs $3 per full tank more than regular so IMO it's worth it. you can also put the car in test mode and read what the car is saying you have left on the tank (with the car off hold the trip button down for a few seconds until it reads TEST, let go of the button and start the car up. you can check speed, tach...all the gauges and even codes show up. just press the trip button to scroll through. next time you turn the car off the test mode turns off too.) the fuel doesn't give you mpg but it tells you how how many miles you have left on the tank. i think a full tank is somewhere around 250 according to the computer...?

When I brought my car home (350 miles of tollroad), it got about 270 before the light came on. Since I was still new to it, I didn't want to see just how much further I could go.

Driving it around (when I do that occasionally), it probably gets about 140-160mi to a tank.

I think it got 22mpg on that trip home, the next tank got 11. I haven't bothered checking since.

When I brought my car home (350 miles of tollroad), it got about 270 before the light came on. Since I was still new to it, I didn't want to see just how much further I could go.

Driving it around (when I do that occasionally), it probably gets about 140-160mi to a tank.

I think it got 22mpg on that trip home, the next tank got 11. I haven't bothered checking since.
I let my car run to 1/4 left because I don't trust the gauges...thanks to my Camaro's!

I usually get 150-180 depending on the weather and if I use the A/C or not.

I wish that the new edge car had a display showing the miles left on the tank like some of the newer ones do, and have multiple trip odometers...

I average roughly 24 mpg in my cobra,

Its not all about RPM though, there are multiple factors.

Like standing on the gas pedal in overdrive instead of using a lower gear and higher RPM isnt saving you any gas.

For the OP, it could be a mix of basic things, Like clogged filters (air and fuel), aged and corroded spark plugs...etc, hard to tell from internet postings, but basic maintanance never hurts

My 97 GT with all the bolt ons and 3.73's gets 22 mpg on combined driving.I think thats actually very good considering i have my foot in it and i also have a bad thermostat that makes the car run rich

got the car back and it turned out that the ignition coil for cylinder 5 was shot. also the gas stations have 10 % ethanol which someone mentioned kills gas mileage....guess those were my problems

Did it run rough? I don't get how some of my customers don't notice a misfire like that. with one coil out it was running on on seven cylinders good thing you caught it before it destroyed the cats..

BTW must feel quicker now..

my car has 150miles on it at 1/4 of a tank, just drive until the low fuel light comes on and youll hit 200 easy lol, i even drive mine a while after the light comes on, if you fill it right when the light comes on usually still have 2 gallons left atleast

What is this 'fuel light' you refer to? :p Niether my 97 nor 88 have one.

I normally get 240-260 miles at 1/4 tank remaining. My mileage varies between 20 and 22mpg, depending on how heavy my shoes are, traffic and driving conditions. All highway, I rarely do worse than 25mpg, and have gotten a best of 27.

The tank is suppose to be 15.7 gallons, but I once added well over 16 gallons. :D

I've noticed that with a lot of cars. You can seemingly put more in the tank than it says you can. I'm guessing automakers have a built-in reserve on the specs.

Either that, or every gas station on the planet is ripping you off (moreso than usual).

The Acura I used to have, had a 14.8 gallon tank in it, yet I was able to pump 16.1 into it, and it wasn't even empty (according to the gauge). So it's either a case of the manuals/manufacturers erring on the safe side, or gas stations' pumps need adjusting.

My '97 never did better than 22-23 with 3.55 gears on the highway. My '98 got 28-29 highway mpg with 2.73s, and now it gets 26 mpg highway with 4.10s at 75mph. With a mix of around town and highway, it is more like 20mpg. Both the '97 and '98 were/are maintained meticulously so I can't understand the difference.

I've never gotten less than 260 from a tank that i can remember, i drove 380 all highway last year.

A few things to consider; the terrain you drive on the most(flat vs. hills), i live in a very flat part of Texas, very few hills. Also clogged air/fuel filters and under filled tires can kill MPG.

I have a fox body mustang with a fully built carbed 351 that gets about 150 per tank.

-Premium