Electrical Gauges - Electric Vs. Mechanical?

cdurbin

5 Year Member
Jul 27, 2012
North Charleston, SC
I'm trying to decide if I should buy mechanical or electrical oil pressure and water temp gauges.
I've done some reading online and it seems kind of 50/50 on the issue. Some people prefer one over the other. Is one really that much more accurate than the other? It seems like a while lot less headache to install the electrical ones. I'm not very experienced with this stuff so I'm leaning towards an electrical one due to the ease of installation. What do you guys think on the subject.
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I agree with you, everyone has their opinion. I think the mechanical are said to be more accurate just because there isn't a conversion between the mechanical force (pressure) to the electrical signal.

I prefer the electrical gauges. I think electrical gauges nowadays are accurate enough that there's no reason to bring hot oil and water/coolant into the cabin just for a bit more accurate reading, if it even is more accurate.

I agree with you, everyone has their opinion. I think the mechanical are said to be more accurate just because there isn't a conversion between the mechanical force (pressure) to the electrical signal.

I prefer the electrical gauges. I think electrical gauges nowadays are accurate enough that there's no reason to bring hot oil and water/coolant into the cabin just for a bit more accurate reading, if it even is more accurate.

There actually isn't any coolant that runs into the cabin. It's a sealed gas filled capillary tube with a probe on the end. My concern is that you can't have any kinks in the tube or it won't read correctly. I'm also concerned about the Oil pressure gauge becuase it does have oil coming into the cabin. The last thing I want is a leak and oil all over my floor.

Well, I ended up doing both. I went with the Autometer Sport Comps. I got a mechanical Temp and an electrical Oil pressure from Summit Racing.
Should be here on Thursday so I can get them hooked up over the weekend.
Thanks for the input.

With a quality brand, you can't go too far wrong. The needle sweep (full-sweep electrics are $$) is actually probably one of the biggest deciding factors.

I installed Autometer full electrics on my last conversion. The 6 gauge set was a choke ( over 850.00). :confused: The performance and accuracy is what you pay for,...and the look is unlike 90% of the rest of the stuff out there (for now).
I chose electric because it is way easier to run a sending unit wire than the copper line, or coil covered capillary tube through the firewall.
I was looking yesterday, and now you can literally custom design your own set of gauges from Autometers' website.
Gauge background, fonts, bezels, face plates, lighting, and colors all from a cafeteria style palate.
I wish I had that choice when I bought mine in Feb,......but I like my Cruisers just the same