Gear change $1000! no way!

I would estimate about 2-300 in labor and then 150 for the gears and 100 for the install kit + gear oil and friction modifier. IMO I woould get the FMS gears and get the upgraded install kit with the better shim packs. Call it 500 for the whole thing. If you are going to pay someone to do the job and you are not familiar with the shop, ask for the names of three people they did gears for ask to call them. I've seen more improperly set up gears than you can imagine.

• Sponsors (?)

It's simple, ford dealers go by the book regardless of how much time it truly takes. I would think they are competent enough to get it right, but a grand is alot.

While i'm cool with guys doing it as side jobs, you can't really quote those prices, they have no overhead, insurance and nobody else is getting a cut of that money. So $150 gear changes are going to be few and far between, they are also risky considering if the installer botches the job there is no accountability.

Fair going rate on labor alone is between $250 and $500.

As for doing it at home, i agree with whoever said earlier it may not be a noob project. Rears are about the details and if you aren't detail orientated, it may not be the place to start. Seasoned professionals screw rears up, imagine what someone with no experience at all can do.
Not saying it can't be done, just realize, it's risk vs reward, if it works out you're golden, if you mess up, your rear may eat $1000 in parts.

IMO, find a professional people trust that has fair pricing and just let them do it.

A dial in/lb tourque wrench is not a cheap tool. I have seen them go for around $225. (maby someone here knows where to get a better deal on one) And I could not fine anyone who rents one out. I had all the other tools though and did my own gear change. Fortunatly for me the Machiene shop I had do the work on my engine block did not charge me to press on the new bearing on to the pinion.

Overall it really was not a bad job to do myself and saved $350 I paid the last shop I had do my other rear gear swap.

A dial in/lb tourque wrench is not a cheap tool. I have seen them go for around $225. (maby someone here knows where to get a better deal on one) And I could not fine anyone who rents one out. I had all the other tools though and did my own gear change. Fortunatly for me the Machiene shop I had do the work on my engine block did not charge me to press on the new bearing on to the pinion.

Overall it really was not a bad job to do myself and saved $350 I paid the last shop I had do my other rear gear swap.
you can use a fishermans hook I can't think of the right name but it measures in inch pounds and has a hook on the end it's used in fishing that is what I used

Reactions: 1 user