gears on 2000 v6?

dark-pony

Jun 9, 2004
does anybody know what gears come stock on a 2000 v6? 3:27?

also, how much worse is my gas mileage gonna be (percentage wise) if i swap in 3:73's? (i usually take it pretty easy on the car daily driving)

thx,
t

• Sponsors (?)

Stock gears are 3:27

I don't have 3:73s on my car so I don't know exactly what kind of gas mileage change there is. From what other people have said you will lose around 2-3 mpg in highway driving and wont lose ony gas mileage for city driving so percentage wise about 5-10% depending how much highway driving you do.

Because you aren't running all out on a higher gear ratio in the city, where you only go a few miles at a time to begin with. Besides with city driving, you get hammered on gas milage anyway from all the stopping/starting/sitting/cursing.

DAZ said:
Lost 8 mpg highway
Lost 5 mpg city
Worst decision to make if your concerned about mileage!
i think you just like the new oomph a little too much and like to keep those rpms up there :D ...or maybe you drive around the city at 80mph?

in all honesty i havent heard mpg losses like that before. another reason why city stays about the same is because u can up shift at lower speeds than normal and not loose as much pickup when u step on the gas. i dont have gears yet but i only heard that youll get a 2-3mpg hwy loss with 4.10s, i heard 3.73s dont really affect it too much :shrug:

Well most of my city driving is in 6 mile intervals. Highway driving at 25 to 30 miles at a shot. All done within the speed limit and driving like a sane person.
Before gears, I was getting 28 mpg highway and 23 mpg city. Now I am getting 20 and 18. The mileage used to be worse with the Ford Chip 18 and 15, so I took the %^%^ thing out.
All new Plugs,Wires,PCV,Fuel Filter, Fuel Injection Service... Tires at correct presure, normal driving conditions and still
crappy mileage. I am trying to sell car, but as soon as people here about the mileage, they dart. Next step is to get rid of gears. Any buyers!

I threw in 4.10's on my 98 auto, and I've only lost 2-3 mpg. To lose that much mpg, either the driving has changed, or your gear selection was way too steep. What gear ratio are you running?

As far as gaining HP and Tq goes, you don't gain anything. What gears do, is put the engine into the power band faster thereby letting the car accelerate faster. As far as numbers go for the 1/4 mile, I forget.

Gears are 3.73. And driving hasn't changed. All other mechanicals are fine.
Except that I am missing 2 cylinders.
I personally would not recomend gears to anyone concerned with gas mileage.
AND to correct the speedo on a 99-04, you need to buy a chip or programer, only to have your mileage deteriorate even more.

I posted the MPG question in mustangforums.com and they said that you won't lose any mpg as long as you don't drive any more aggressive. Its all about how you drive. But if you do upgrade your gears, you have to make sure you update your chip with the new gear ratio.

Well, I can only offer my experience and state again that I drive the car very conservatively. Youl have to make your own judgemnt call here. Frankly, I thinl the chips are over rated and basically ineffective. My chip was reprogrammed 3 times and NO improvement. Would I do gears again.... NOPE! Would I recommend them.. NOPE!

Did you check your new gas mileage after having your computer reflashed for new gear ratio or getting a chip to correct for ratio? Otherwise your odometer would be off which could screw up the gas mileage. (Although I think it would falsly elevate your mileage if the odometer works off of engine speed)

01White5spd said:
Did you check your new gas mileage after having your computer reflashed for new gear ratio or getting a chip to correct for ratio? Otherwise your odometer would be off which could screw up the gas mileage. (Although I think it would falsly elevate your mileage if the odometer works off of engine speed)
YUP!!! Been there did dat! Several times in fact. Learned my lesson. Currently have car up for sale hoping someone doesn't mind getting 200 miles per tank full.

Well, it can be mathematically proven that gears will increase the <i><b>performance</b></i> of your vehicle, they don't claim to improve the efficiency. If you want you could get larger tires which would even out the gear ratio and improve your gas mileage.